what is your go-to hotsauce?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to add carrot onion habanero to the combination thread. :D

For general purposes like eggs, I like Cholula. When I want to make something spicy hot as with Ramen, I love S and B brand La-lu chili oil. I used to have something called Insanity sauce for when I felt suicidal. It's rated 180,000 Scoville units a just a couple of drops would make a bowl of chili HOT.

My current hot sauce du jour is Fire Dragon New Zealand Green. A green chilli sauce with complexity added by locally grown wasabi, native bushes called horopito and kawakawa and hemp oil.

Nandos extra hot Peri-peri

Faraon green Habanero for that whistle clean vinegary hit

Sriracha & cholula

just got marie sharps sauce. mild version. it is quite good, so good that i used half the bottle for my lunch today (on a burger, and dipping sauce for fries).

Ha! I like the mild one too, but it sounds you'll save some money by stepping it up to a hotter version.

My current hot sauce du jour is Fire Dragon New Zealand Green. A green chilli sauce with complexity added by locally grown wasabi, native bushes called horopito and kawakawa and hemp oil.

Nandos extra hot Peri-peri

Faraon green Habanero for that whistle clean vinegary hit

Sriracha & cholula

How does one get said fire dragon sauce in the us?

My new favourite (much more than the Marie Sharps) is "verde rebelde" by "El Machete".

From the website:

"combines fire roasted Jalapeño, Serrano, and Orange Habanero chilies to deliver grassy, roasted green chilli notes. It’s layered with Mexican herbs and pan roasted spices for depth of flavor. Epazote is a native herb traditional Mexican widely used in the country’s vast cuisine. This deeply flavored and chunky style sauce is also layered with global spices: oregano, marjoram, bay leaf, and corriander. To naturally preserve the chilli sauce, El Machete utilizes white vinegar, sea salt, and Mexican cane sugar."

http://elmachete.com/chilli-sauce/

[video=youtube;9vAxFkeWQTk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vAxFkeWQTk[/video]

pretty sure hot sauce is Belieze's national treasure

Cholula, sambal, gochujang.

I also like the Texas Pete vinegar with the tabasco peppers inside the bottle.

my current fave is jolokia or ghost pepper sambal , somewhere in the 1M Scoville region, so dang hard to dose but great taste. For regular use I favor fresh peppers over sauce as I mostly find ready made stuff is too salty and usually quite acidic.(which is not to say we never use stuff like sriracha tabasco or habanero and jalapeno sauce)

My favorite is arizona pepper sauce. They have three flavors organic: jalapeno, chipolte, or habenaro. They use red ripened jalapenos. Its fantstic. Thick, rich, great balance of heat and flavor. It might be from tge same company the guy who mentioned arizona gunslinger red jalapeno.

Franks.

Heart Breaking Dawn's "1498" and "Cauterizer".
Anything yellow... Once the weather warms up, Caribbean-style scotch bonnet sauces are my go-to. Lottie's "Traditional Barbados Hot Sauce" is great--made in Houston, but legit.
Pure fatali sauce is worth looking for. Otherwise, CaJohns makes a good Fatali sauce.

I travel a bit and here in Europe choices can get pretty weak. So I always have a stash of powered cayenne pepper and often raw garlic. Not a sauce of course, but damn you can do wonders with that combo when needed.

Interesting read. Somewhere in between reading I went and ordered some Marie Sharp hot habanero. I hope it will not have to heavy vinegar taste/smell. I really hate vinegar and everything containing it like Tabasco.

I prefer hot sauces without vinegar. But the ones I can source locally (EU) have very limited shell life after they are opened. All of then must be consumed in 3 weeks to a month from opening.
I do like hot stuff but I still do not eat it so fast...

Does anybody know of some vinegar free (or vinegar taste free) sauce that keep for longer?

My wife hassles me for taking up a whole shelf in the 'fridge with bottled condiments, many of which are hot sauces. I currently have the following:
• Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce
• Gochujang
------------------
• Sriracha
• Tabasco
------------------
• El Yucateco Green Habanero Hot Sauce
• El Yucateco Kutblick Exxxtra Hot Habanero Sauce
• Japanese Yuzu Kosho
• Homemade chili oil

I usually go-to the first four for cooking, the rest as condiments, Tabasco and Sriracha are switch hitters for me.

I'm not a fan of vinegar-heavy or salty sauces either, and most have some combination of that to extend shelf life. So I pretty much stick to Cholula sauce (still vinegary but not too much), and then use a shake of dried/powdered Habanero when I want a stronger kick. Dried chili avoids the vinegar and salt. For cooking, I use fresh or dried chilies, depending on what I have on hand.

My wife hassles me for taking up a whole shelf in the 'fridge with bottled condiments, many of which are hot sauces. I currently have the following:
• Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce
• Gochujang
------------------
• Sriracha
• Tabasco
------------------
• El Yucateco Green Habanero Hot Sauce
• El Yucateco Kutblick Exxxtra Hot Habanero Sauce
• Japanese Yuzu Kosho
• Homemade chili oil

I usually go-to the first four for cooking, the rest as condiments, Tabasco and Sriracha are switch hitters for me.

sounds like our fridge...

Crystal, Cholula, Aardvark, Sriracha, Sambal, and Spicy chili crisp (chili oil)

Very much food specific for me. BBQ/baked beans/similar, Tabasco. Latino food, Valentina or something by El Yucateco, who make good stuff (chipotle, habanero). Pizza, just depends on how hot I want to go from Tabasco to Yellowbird habanero to Dave’s Ghost Pepper. Asian, Huy Fong is a must with their Sriracha and other varieties of chili pastes. If I could only choose one, I think Tabasco is the most versatile in cooking & enjoying the items I typically prepare. Also fun to experiment with homemade pepper sauces, sambals, etc..

As I get older, though, I need bigger glasses of milk to soothe the digestion :lol2:

@MarcelNL anything with ghost pepper in it goes well with rich and creamy stuff - coconut milk or yoghurt based curries etc. Useless with lean stuff or anythings that pretends not to be lean by using starch.

Pico Pica Mexican hot sauce. Delicious balance between fruity and spicy. In my opinion, it blows Cholula, Tapa Tio, and Valentino out of the water. It's on Amazon, I see. Give it a try!

I received Marie Sharp hot habanero.

Definitely too vinegary for me... didn't even need to open it. Whole bottle was smelling just of vinegar.

i'm over the Red Rooster Sriracha. it is so one dimensional and salty for me. a friend turned me onto a Shark brand. he said it is the original Sriracha (?). it is way better flavored. they use the word "STRONG" for the hottest version. which is what i get. it isnt that hot, but it is sweet, hot, salty, garlicy..it is good. very good. and it comes in a big glass bottle. last time i got it, it was $2.99.

having said that..getting to an Asian market doenst always happen for me since i moved to the fringe of the bay area. i now use Trader Joes version..it is very close to the SHARK brand.

It's not exactly a store-bought sauce here, but there's a store-bought element. I've been making one of the recipes from Fuchsia Dunlop's Chinese cookbooks using this sauce, and I like it so much I've been making more and storing it in the fridge. Scale up as needed:

3-4 tablespoons light or tamari soy sauce.
One and a half to two teaspoons fine sugar.
Two to four heaped teaspoons minced (not crushed) garlic.
Five to six tablespoons chili oil, with its sediment (Judy Fu Hot Oil, available at Safeway up here in the PNW). You should be able to find something similar in a local Asian grocery. Be sure to stir in a heap of that sediment.

Adjust quantities to taste. This is great stuff, with no vinegar edge because there's no vinegar, and you can adjust how sweet or salty you want it. Scale it up and store a bottle in the fridge. And yeah, I know I should be making my own hot chili oil because it's easy, but I have trouble scoring the right chilies up here. Buying hot chili oil off the shelf at the supermarket is easy.

Back