What started the workhorse craze?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand how carrot cracking became a standard for judging knife performance. A thick heel is not relevant to my most often used carrot cuts (julienne, medium dice, or oblique cuts). The only part where I ever experience any cracking is when I cut a carrot into 2-3 inch chunks. And generally all knives will crack carrots if the carrot is large enough in diameter. But it doesn't affect my speed in cutting the carrots or the quality of the final cuts so I don't understand why it is an issue that gets talked about so much. If the tip of a knife cracks carrots I could see why it might be problematic. But even my actual Western deba does not crack carrots with the tip.
I thought this comment was very interesting so I bought the biggest carrot I could find around me today to do "stress test" - about 66mm (2.6 inches) in diameter close to the stem.

This is not meant to argue against your point. I was simply interested.

I picked five knives that I thought would perform well on thick carrots and cut into the carrot at about 3cm from the stem side with each knife. Four of them were dead silent. The 260mm Kamon made some tiny noises. I think I might have pushed too far and too quickly. If I used the front 1/3 to cut straight down, it might also have been silent.

I experienced a little bit resistance with the 260mm Kamon and the Merion. DT, Kamon monolith and Eddworks went through effortlessly with no sound at all.

All five of these knives have pretty strong distal taper and I don't consider any of them laser.

IMG_8944.png
IMG_8945.png

Last edited:
I thought this comment was very interesting so I bought the biggest carrot I could find around me today to do "stress test" - about 66mm (2.6 inches) in diameter close to the stem.

I picked five knives that I thought would perform well on thick carrots and cut into the carrot at about 3cm from the stem side with each knife. Four of them were dead silent. The 260mm Kamon made some tiny noises. I think I might have pushed too far and too quickly. If I used the front 1/3 to cut straight down, it might also have been silent.

I experienced a little bit resistance with the 260mm Kamon and the Merion. DT, Kamon monolith and Eddworks went through effortlessly with no sound at all.

All five of these knives have pretty strong distal taper and I don't consider any of them laser.

View attachment 308681View attachment 308682
Those knives are cool and all but the 66mm wide carrot kinda steals the show.

Lets be honest, in the world of lasers craze some people wanted to diferenciarte themselves. You know the trope “I liked it before it was cool”
I see the same happening with sharpening grits recommendations. I bet that in 10 years 8K+ finishing will be cool again.
So I guess finishing on a 400 Chosera is seriously uncool?

Wow. Never realized how tall the handles are on the monoliths.

So I guess finishing on a 400 Chosera is seriously uncool?
If you are so insecure in your sharpening skills that you need validation of others - I suggest you practice more.

I guess I'm more interested in looking at knives that fail the carrot cracking contest and see if they still cut carrots. If so, then the test itself is irrelevant. Hold my beer!

Fair enough. Maybe the ratios I described would work better or something else.
I agree that handle size may be irrelevant but balance is not. To me a workhorse would have a ton of forward balance. I think blade weight and convexity have to be part of the conversation. Almost more so than spine thickness. I have had plenty of 4+mm knives that were in no way a workhorse. I am also not sure how you would classify work like Kamon, Birch & Bevel, Chris Anderson etc. that are using grinds that are thick and convex at the heal and move towards full flat grind thin tips. Eddworks, OEL also come to mind with grinds that change toward the tip. Party in the front, workhorse in the rear!!!

Last edited:
lol I went to 3 stores and found this in an Asian supermarket.

I worked with a Guatemalan guy once who called the really giant restaurant supply ones horse carrots. He called them that because he claimed in Guatemala they only used ones that got that big to feed the horses. They weren't allowed for human consumption.

800 feels good but I didn't like the edge from it 🤣
In all seriousness, I'll use the 800 in a progression up to either a Shapton 2k or JNS red aoto, but there are plenty of times I'll just do the 400. I still think there's witchcraft involved in the making of that stone. Cuts faster than you'd think and gives a better edge than most medium grit (800-1200ish) stones I've tried.

Back