What started the workhorse craze?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just to muddy...this Okubo 256 is "only" ~4 mm at the pinch but anyone looking at choil can't mistake the grind for anything but deliciously convex workhorse. It outperformed the Spåre 250 below that  looks  like it'd be a better cutter

View attachment 308805
View attachment 308806

Cut test from Okubo on the biggest carrot I had. Not a horse carrot but it's enough for me, and usually about as big as I get.

I agree with above that a big sweet potato is the true test of a grind for me. My Yoshikane 240 would just get stuck in them or butternuts. The Okubo and Eddworks are both delightful on them. Seeing as how I cut/cook a ton of sweet potatoes and butternuts, it's a prerequisite to staying in my rotation.

Awesome looking board! What steel is the Eddworks made of?

Can I pile on the @eddworks praise? As some have mentioned on this thread, I also ask for a midweight cross of a workhorse and a laser when I go for a custom. This is the workhorse I like and will be my definition of a nice workhorse until I get a proper Kato. Ed listened to a request for a 240 x 50+ gyuto that has thickness at the back 1/3 and aggressive taper at the distal 1/3. I asked for a knife that will make a potato non-stick, and minimal carrot cracking. The knife is arriving tomorrow but the video he sent looks promising!

PS. I know it’s an s-grind but he said his regular grind will perform just as well, if not just a little less release. I believe him.

Last edited:
For me a good workhorse knife should be able to brunoise veg, kill and split a lobster (to order) for the wood fire grill and smash garlic with the side of the knife. Like someone else mentioned I'd rather not have to pull out a different knife if I don't have to

The Chef/Owner of the place I'm at has a couple Z-Kramer carbon's so that's my North Star on this type of knife. It's a pretty good knife for the price & def an all-arounder! Trying to find something different and as good with out spending double is hard work!

I find big daikon radishes more common and easier to use for cracking tests. I mean the crack is louder. Cut them at 2cm thickness then you're ready for some radish steak after.

One of the best follows on YouTube! Pretty cool seeing him mentioned, it's worth diving deep into his archive for sure.

Back