Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pork and scallions, fermented black bean strings, soy, sasame, black vinegar cucumber, saffron rice
20240119_195654.jpg

strong work team!!

mine is much more humble. one of my many ways of cooking eggs. I steam them. Cantonese people call it "swui-dan". means "water eggs". I want to make a batch and slip it into a soup like soft tofu, and see how it plays out. it has the texture of soft tofu, but is eggyummy.

egg tofu copy.jpg

I usually make meatballs twice a year. about 10-12lbs batches (of meat) + when you add the rest, you get about 90-100 meatballs, which last me for 4-6 month since I usually cook 30 at a time. Last night, as prep i caramelized about 4 lbs of onions and in the end added about 3oz of wostershire and cooked it down. and at the same time, put 5 small heads of garlic in oven in foil. cut off heads and added bit of oil. at 275 for 2 hrs or so...

once both were done, i mixed it together and used potato mashed to incorporate and let it chill in fridge overnight. also, at the same time last night I did about 8 quarts of tomato puree on stove simmering for about 2 hrs, with a bit of salt and dried rosemary, thyme, pepper in a sachet.

today, i made a panade, approx 16oz of panko in a 1.3qt of milk or so.. mixed that with onions and 9lbs of beef. Also added 1.5table spoon of pepper. Fried up a tester for texture and salt. Added more salt and started to form meatballs. About 70 or so were the result.

How do you know they are home made? Obv, uneven. Then I browned them in the skillet. Now they will simmer in the tomato sauce for about 1 hr or so. The rest will go into freezer.

Side, well, sitting on garlic mashed potatoes.

After eating thoughts - meatballs turned out amazing. Caramelizing garlic and onions added sweetness. Sauce on other hand, needed salt. I couldn't eye ball it earlier since it had to cook and reduce for an hour, but I can adjust it now. Overall, I am pleased with the result

2024-03-09 13.38.27.jpg

Attachments

• 2024-03-09 12.41.44.jpg
    2024-03-09 12.41.44.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2024-03-09 13.38.30.jpg
    2024-03-09 13.38.30.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 2024-03-09 12.57.17.jpg
    2024-03-09 12.57.17.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 2024-03-09 12.41.39.jpg
    2024-03-09 12.41.39.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 2024-03-09 14.39.23.jpg
    2024-03-09 14.39.23.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Spiced ginger cake.

View attachment 306488

Among many other things, it has black pepper in it. It's spicy but still works as a cake, but also makes for a nice alternative carbohydrate side for things such as veniison

Skip the ginger entirely. Works well enough for cookies. These were gingerbread cookies to me growing up
20240309_140631.jpg

just realized my wife will be out of town (country) soon. so she asked for St Paddy's meal early. I was going to try Brian L's corned beef recipe, but I just saw the price of beef at my store!!! I am short on time anyways. went with a store hunk of meat.

today is going to be busy. starting off with a breakfast burrito, then soy milk, then Hot/Sour soup for the wife's week lunches, then the corned beef.

pics later. just needed to type this out to "lock it in". hahahah

Sometime it’s inspiration plus desperation: It was 6 AM and I was starving (always am, first thing in the morning). Attacked the icebox and found an egg, a couple of flour tortillas and a 6” x 1” strip of 3-day old chapli kebab. Put griddle on low heat, warmed kebab and tortilla thereon, then moved both to plate. Melted a smear of butter in the middle, smooshed it around to more or less size and shape of the kebab. Did a cowboy scramble with the egg and smooshed it likewise. When it was “set,” I flipped it once, then centered it on the tortilla and topped it with kebab. Splashed on my homemade faux sriracha, rolled it up and ate it pronto. Yes, I know it’s basically an enchilada but I call it a Taco Loco. Sorry about the ugly photo.

Attachments

• P1030107.JPG
    P1030107.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Daikon and pineapple pizza is what KKF is about now. Oh, and trying to kill people on bicycles with your car… apparently. AND vegan food. If you can’t cook a decent vegan dish, you are a moron, and deserve to own a bike, so people can run you over!

Back