Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there Greek influence in Denmark? I would imagine many EU countries have different nationalities through immigration. Here we have many different cultures & ethnic eateries. My favorite Mexican place run by Mexican family was one of many small business that didn't survive covid shutdowns.

Is there Greek influence in Denmark? I would imagine many EU countries have different nationalities through immigration. Here we have many different cultures & ethnic eateries. My favorite Mexican place run by Mexican family was one of many small business that didn't survive covid shutdowns.
These days we have many different cuisines available through immigration, but traditional Danish food is pretty much just German food.

Smoked leg of lamb, 11 lbs before deboning, ~225F for 4 hours, rested in a cooler for an hour, 143F internal temp. Melt in your mouth tender.

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

Sushi day! Made sushi vinegar from scratch, cured mackerel, sugar & combu cured whitefish, kingcrab leg, avocado, pan fried vanamei shrimp, salmon roe, and fresh wasabi! Etc. Rice is koshibuki, really loving the taste of it all :)

IMG_6971.jpeg

Mackerel nigiri

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Rolling, rolling, rolling…

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Almost there…

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Now we are talking! 🤤

Tacos al Pastor with pickled reds and pineapple. Smoked the trompo in a Traeger for two hours at 105 c for two hours first. Super (cheat) preparation for pastor at home.
img_7986-jpeg.312036
IMG_7991.jpeg
IMG_7993.jpeg
Credit where it’s due: the pastor was prepped and cooked by my buddy. I just did the cutting.

Knives used: 210 Kanahide hap-40 Gyuto and a new @msicardcutlerey 240 AEB-L Gyuto.

Attachments

• IMG_7986.jpeg
    IMG_7986.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 164
Today, I made Gelbwurst again, but with a twist.

"Gelbwurst" means "yellow sausage", so called because it is always filled into a yellow casing. Before artificial casings, turmeric was used to dye the casings yellow and, presumably, to subtly add to the flavor.

In Bavaria, Gelbwurst is often called "Hirnwurst", meaning "brain sausage". That's because this sausage besides veal and pork also used to contain brains. Butchers stopped adding brains some time in the 1920s, as best as I could find out; I have no idea why. If someone happens to know, please drop me a line! These days, the sausage is made with just veal and pork.

I was curious as to what the original version might have tasted like, so I made a Hirnwurst today that is actually worthy of the name ;) 22 % of the meat weight is lamb brains:

1711977374708.jpeg

I took this shot after I had already cut the meat into chunks to go into the freezer before grinding. The brains are in the foreground; the remainder is veal, pork cheek, and pork shoulder.

The sausage does not contain any nitrite, so it turns from pink when raw to white after cooking it. The taste is very mild, similar to Bologna, but less hammy, with a more subtle flavour. (Kids love this sausage because it has such a mild flavour.)

1711977532436.jpeg

I was happy with the way it turned out. Good bind, and next to no air inclusions.

1711977595966.jpeg

As far as flavour is concerned, the version with brains is exactly the same as the one without. Not a surprise, seeing that I used an identical spice mix. You definitely cannot tell that the sausage contains brains by its flavour. However, the texture is different. The sausage has this beautiful creamy and silky component to the texture. Not that it is mushy or anything, I got a good firm bind. But there is this mouthfeel going on that normal Gelbwurst or Bologna can't match. Almost as if cream had been added.

Overall, this is really delicious and, in my opinion, a little better than today's version. It's a more classy spin on the same flavours :)

Last edited:
I didnt want to start a new thread. but you know what I never make, despite it being easy as fluck. burgers!!

not sure why I don't make my own burgers?!

I had some lamb brain left over from making Hirnwurst, so I made fried lamb brain. Coating is a batter of egg, creme fraiche, yoghurt, and pecorino romano, covered with herbed Panko bread crumbs. Homemade pesto and salad on the side.

View attachment 312340
Fine looking dish like most of your centerfolds but please consider my experience..... I feel so free and empowered since I came out about my love for lamb fries 😋

Back