Xmas gift to me...vitamix? or chamber vac....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at this thread with a bit of envy, I always - well, for years - wanted a Vitamix but it never became a priority among competing financial commitments. Now, I just got home from my trip to Europe and guess what I found on my kitchen counter this morning - turns out, my house mate has one that he just got out of storage. I hope I get to play with it a bit even though he doesn't get to play with my knives :)

Stefan

Reviving another old thread: I am seriously thinking about a Vitamix 7500 - any reason why I should not (except for the obvious financial craziness of spending $550 for a 'blender'). Costco has a package deal with the extra dry container and a few 20oz containers, and from what I read it would serve me better than the older 5200 or the Blendtecs - any thoughts?

Thanks,

Stefan

You can get a refurbished unit from the vitamix factory at a steep discount, still has a factory warranty too.

Last edited:
I don't think you can go wrong with a vitamix period. Just make sure it has the variable speed as not just on/off. In not a fan of the programmable ones as I like the control of a manual one. Ive had the CIA model since 2011 and have worked it hard as a blender and also to make nut butters and such. Never had issues such as overheating and making it shut off. Also have several other containers including the dry one

I think the major improvements with the newest ones is the variable torque (heard from thr VM person at Costco?) and the fan runs all the time not just on high apparently.

I should add the tamper (afaik only with vitamix) is a big selling point too depending on what you plan to use it for. Essential for thick stuff such as nut butters, frozen sorbet, etc.

Last edited:
+1 for vitamix. The thing is a beast (variable speed is a must!).

(editing issues) I'm in the same boat (having to wait for a vac). I make smoothies almost every morning. Also it's great for breaking down fresh groceries: turmeric, ginger.

Not the Best juicer.
Good for ice cream

I've been on a coconut craze lately and I've been buying coconuts and making cream out of them.
Coconut (deshelled and deskinned) + water, blended, then strained with a cheese cloth (or chinois)
Mango rus
Motherf*ken purees (seriously cauliflower purée), Step up your curry game with purée onions for a base

Mocho made some excellent points for the vac but because I do smoothies and use it almost every day (literally 6/7days) I sided with the VM.

I have the 6500 from Costco. Worth every penny. The presets are definitely worth it. Also a friend has the blendtec, I spent a week at his place and I didn't like it. Also there are VM that go for 1200 I almost certain they come with the name "quite one". Yes they are not worth one months rent unless you live in an apt and then they are. Very quiet indeed.

FYI, my Vitamix Pro5200 is now going back to Vitamin for a second time for warranty work. Bought at WS, and whenever an authorized retailer sells a VM product, it's serial # and sale date/location is registered direct with VM. It went in once for "thermal switch shut-off", they replaced a bunch of parts inside, and a month later it does the same thing. Loved it up to this point, but now after 3 years of light daily use, it's breaking down.

The Pro model with the cooking soup option was worth it to me for the ability to quickly make some soups, but after trying it twice, found it easier to just use the stove as normal for the cooking.

You got a lemon. Ours at the restaurant gets used for about an hour a day. It is over two years old with no problems.

For what its worth, I use my chamber vac 100 to 1 compared to my Blendtec. When you need a high performance blender, you need one, there's no substitute, but the chamber vac gets used multiple times daily.

vitamix are awesome, but there's no way i'd shell out for one for home use unless you can find one for half price. they are not bulletproof, i've seen many cooks seemingly destroy parts like burnt out motor, stripped both drive socket and blade gear, even the blade part lose coupling so the drive spins but the blades slip or dont spin at all!

get a new knife instead.

I've been working mine pretty hard at home since 2010-2011 on an almost daily basis and haven't had issues. I think for most who'd take decent care of them there would be no problems unless you get a lemon.

Like with knives, just because it costs X amount more than a typical household model doesn't mean it's indestructible. Wouldn't hack thru bones with a +$1k Honyaki.

The vitamix is essential! It has so many more uses than almost anything else in the kitchen (besides the microwave or refrigerator of course) Get a vitamix that is middle of the road as far as prices are concerned. Or if you have a membership at Costco, they are a bit cheaper there.

I wish this thread had stayed dead and buried. I had managed to completely suppress my urge to buy a Vitamix and had pretty much forgotten about it. Then WAM , here it popped up again. Now I'm lighter in the wallet and expecting to take delivery of my Vitamix tomorrow. :happy3:

Performance blender hands down.
if the chioce is between blender or vac sealer

Ok so here is my 2C if you were to ask me about blenders since i would prefer one over a vac sealer.
I am in the Blendtec camp vs vitamix.
I have owned both vita and Blendtec.
I personally prefer the Blendtec.
#1 it fits under the counter ( home chef only)
the wide side jar really does not need the push tamper to ram food down.
The motor is actually more powerful.
Jars are less expensive so I can have 3 in rotation.

Warranties are the same. ( 7 years on both if purchased through Costco.)

Back