You asked, you whined, now here it is: Kato passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mr. Good!

Funny thing is I read all of those before but didnt remember the product....

Sooooooo.......what makes the kato special?

I have to agree to some extent, call me a cynic, arrogant...whatever, but when the wheel is re-invented and something new hits the market and is immediately praised as the best thing since sliced bread a little objectivity goes a long way.

I am not saying the knife is not great, (I have never held or used one)and I greatly appreciate the 2 reviews so far, but really I almost think at this level of the game it is not so much the item, as any knife in this range or above sure as heck better perform, as the relationships made during the process. Whether the communication with custom makers or the help and communication with the phenomenal vendors such as Maxim, Jon etc that make or break the experience.

I am really looking forward to some reviews and I hope they all make me put my foot in my mouth.

Knife arrived from Australia this morning, so we are ready to go. Here's the list:

JMJones
brainsausage
heirkb
Jmadams13
EdipisReks
GlassEye
chinacats
Chifunda
PensacolaTiger
Daveb
tk59
markenki

Pitonboy (me)

Tba later due to international shipping: Cutty Sharp and cookinstuff

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it!

Great! Thanks for running this passaround!

BTW, how long should each person expect to keep the knife? The only reason I ask is because I'm travelling around Thanksgiving, so I'm hoping that my turn doesn't come up right around that time (Nov 21-25).

Keep it for about a week but Holidays can mess that up. It's OK

I had one of these on hold from Maxim, but some ****head smashed into my car late night about a week ago. Cleaned out my savings doing repairs. So this is very appreciated on my part Ben!

Thanks for doing this Ben, alot of fencesitters on this knife I feel.

I'm excited about this! I'm down for both this and the Shigefusa passaround, and look forward to comparing to my Gesshin Hide.

Man, gonna be a long wait though - I'm 13th.

Patience, patience.... :joec:

I'm excited about this! I'm down for both this and the Shigefusa passaround, and look forward to comparing to my Gesshin Hide.

Man, gonna be a long wait though - I'm 13th.

Patience, patience.... :joec:

That's my reference point, too (as far as thick knives go). The Gesshin Hide that I used briefly was really impressive...

Yes, I enjoy mine. Imagine if the 2 passarounds arrived at the same time and I had all 3 at once! :spin chair:

I think it's in Maine which is remote and without modern means of communication:lol2:

I think it's in Maine which is remote and without modern means of communication:lol2:

I have to send smoke signals to the cable office, then its a 100 mile ride on horseback from the teletype in New Hampshire, to the cultural mecca that is Boston, where my attorney transcribes it to this forum. Since I'm paying by the letter, here's a quick review: I want this knife, and calling it a knife is doing a disservice to swords everywhere. It's frickin huge. I'll post some more when the wind is favorable for signaling.

Cheers,

-Josh

That means I'm next! Really looking forward to this one.

Hey guys is the list finalized? I'm not sure how I missed this thread but I'd love a chance to get in on it have been debating on getting one.

if its possible! may I jump-in for this Kato passaround??

If I'm ever done with it...

Just kidding... I'm mailing it out tomorrow.

As much as I'd rather not.

Best knife I've laid my hands on as of yet.

I'm getting close! lol. Now I just need to plan what I'm gonna cut with it to give it a workout.

If I'm ever done with it...

Just kidding... I'm mailing it out tomorrow.

As much as I'd rather not.

Best knife I've laid my hands on as of yet.

Did Ben give you my shipping address already? I'm not sure of the shipping rules for this passaround, but if you do get tracking, please PM me the number as it will make picking up the package much easier for me.

There was a list with mailing addresses on it but they don't tend to last the whole trip

Sent the kato(as well as the list)your way yesterday afternoon Heirkb. No tracking, as they said at that level of insurance it would require a signature anyways.

There was a list with mailing addresses on it but they don't tend to last the whole trip

Hmm, don't think I ever got that. I will have to contact you when my week is up with this knife for the address I need to ship to.

I think the knife is already at the mailroom at my school and I will pick it up tomorrow. Can't wait. :D

Hmm, don't think I ever got that. I will have to contact you when my week is up with this knife for the address I need to ship to.

I think the knife is already at the mailroom at my school and I will pick it up tomorrow. Can't wait. :D

The list is in the box!

The list is in the box!

Ooh, makes sense.

So I just got the knife home and took it to the little produce I have on hand right now. I tried doing some really fine mincing on an onion and some shaving on some jerusalem artichokes. So far...not super impressed, BUT it might be the edge that has a large part in that. Is it ok for us to touch up the edge if we feel confident in doing basic edge work?

Back