CJA / Scorpion Forge Visit to check out my knife in the making

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to pick up one of Chris Anderson’s 240 XH AEB-L gyuto’s recently and since I’m in Phoenix for work decided to head out to Buckeye and pay him a visit which he was generous enough to make time for. Chris wanted me see my unfinished blade (rough ground) and try some of his finished work (he even had a Gengetsu available that he was re-furbishing for another customer to compare with). Sorry about the crappy Iphone pic's really doesn't do these knives any justice ...

My blade is the one without the handle and was only just rough ground but man is it sweet. The finished blade (wearing Ironwood) is simply amazing and Chris let me play around with it cutting/chopping some potato, onion and tomatoes … damn was it fun – blade is very nimble, tip is super thin, balance was perfect / I was able to make horizontal slices through the potato without even thinking about it. Food release was stellar when slicing/dicing the potato. Used my unfinished blade and it is already better than many of my current knives so really looking forward to having it completed. Handle is very, very natural in the hand and it was great to actually be able to use one ...

Can’t thank Mr. Anderson enough as he was very generous with his time and patiently answered all of my questions … talked at length about what handle materials to use (the Dream Burls' HRB is the primary material for the handle) and his philosophy regarding his knife making/designs … all of it made for a fantastic experience and was great to see the level of workmanship and dedication that goes into his blades.

Will follow up with a proper review when back in SD with my knife … but I’m certain there will be more CJA knives in my future … Man that shorty gyuto was just so damn amazing … I think my lovely bride "needs" a knife for Xmas :wink:

I can't imagine the ergonomic feel of those handles, but they sure are beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

A big part of wanting to meet with Chris was also to get a feel for the handle itself since they are obviously quite a bit different from other styles (such as the Gengetsu octagonal one). I had some questions obviously and it was a great opportunity to try it out.

The handles are great IMO, really very well suited for a pinch grip which is all I do ... they both felt very comfortable in my hand and a natural fit. FWIW - I can't speak to hours and hours of use (yet) but over the course of 30 minutes or so it was great. my $0.02 anyway ...

I can't imagine the ergonomic feel of those handles, but they sure are beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

So Chris was able to finalize the handle setup / design and ran by a couple of options for spacers/etc. - fantastic experience / super professional and almost surreal in letting me add my own ideas!

Here are some pre-final blending/sharpening with the handle basic overviews of what I would consider a WIP but he just said what "do you think" ... if Only I had the money for this knife and the finished ones he showed me (for purchase BTW!).

This is what you get with him! Pretty much a custom experience without the custom price ... LOL

I'm so glad that this forum is around to have introduced me to makers like Chris ... absolute outstanding experience ...

This will be continued ...

TJA

Something I posted over on the Fora a little while back:

"I'm*a pinch grip guy, always have been. I honestly can't remember ever holding a chef's*knife differently. I'm sure I saw someone holding it that way and just did the same.Cris's knives really just fall naturally into a pinch grip for me. Even the smaller handled ones. Yes, they do feel a little foreign at first (the smaller handle ones), but once you start cutting and chopping away it just feels natural.*By smaller I'm referring to length. I've yet to see an overly skinny handle come from Cris, and I don't think he'd make it that way unless upon request. Here's way too smart for that. In fact he made my handle a touch thicker and a touch longer based upon my request some time ago. I don't have big paws with thick digits, just a bit longer thin fingers that require*a little something more to fill the pinch grip properly (read more comfortably)."

Normally I'm not one to quote myself, but I thought this would be appropriate to share.
I have used three of Cris's knives at length during work, putting each one up to long hours and lots of abuse. Never once have I experienced any sort of fatigue or discomfort from his style of handles. Essentially they are well thought out and balanced nicely.

I used to own one of Cris', then I sold it to fund another bigger one from him, now I am just waiting for my turn. Here's the thread to the original knife : http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?t=23693

I had the flared dual taper handle from him, used the knife for a whole month in a pro kitchen. The handle was comfortable, using the knife for long hours at work.

Same as Marc, my next handle would be about 20% bigger in diameter and length. Not because I have big hands, just preference.

Ugh, seeing that old post again just saddens me. I can't believe I didn't buy your old knife when I had the chance. So dammed frustrating.

It's easy to fix, call Cris to make you a copy [emoji12]

My early edition handle was quite small compared to most, and it didn't have any real issues except that the choil/neck at the time was a bit hyperextended for my preference. My new one has a much bigger handle and shorter neck and it is pretty comfortable.

Ugh, seeing that old post again just saddens me. I can't believe I didn't buy your old knife when I had the chance. So dammed frustrating.

It is a great little knife. I've actually got it at work with me today.

I used to own one of Cris', then I sold it to fund another bigger one from him, now I am just waiting for my turn. Here's the thread to the original knife : http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?t=23693

I had the flared dual taper handle from him, used the knife for a whole month in a pro kitchen. The handle was comfortable, using the knife for long hours at work.

Same as Marc, my next handle would be about 20% bigger in diameter and length. Not because I have big hands, just preference.

That's exactly what I asked for with the monster. I like the larger format better. It just seems to fit my hand just right.

I think we all seemed to have larger/longer fingers.Mine was fine, just preference I guess.

Just got my little beastie from Chris today - slightly modified (rounded top/bottom) handle as he is playing around with some different styles and let me decide (facetted would have been fine but this sort of 'kite' handle was perfect for me ... plus the HRB really shines on the rounded surfaces IMO).

Got to play with it for about an hour in the hotel (on travel in Phoenix) and all I can say is the tip is sick, food release is amazing and the handle feel "oh natural" ... thx goes to Byron at Dream Burls for the HRB!

Once I am back in SD will try and do a proper write up!

TjA

Thx bro - I am meaning on taking a trip up the coast to visit your area and then go on to Jon / JKI for some other stuff ... lets chat as I am more than willing on bringing up a kit so you can play with this guy & others ...

FWIW - I'm a bit surprised more of Chris's work isn't showing up around here as I really think its pretty damn amazing ...

PM me and we can try and figure it out ... will be in the late Nov to early December time frame ...

TjA

Absolutely a beauty!

Back