Itinomonn StainLess Kasumi 210 - OOTB impressions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up my new Itinomonn StainLess kasumi 210 gyuto from DHL. Shipping was very prompt from Maxim and JNS. Knife arrived very well packed, in perfect shape. This post is to share a couple quick, out of the box impressions.

First, the basics: This knife has an unidentified semi-stainless core with stainless cladding, and a ho wood D handle with buffalo horn ferule. It is a middleweight 210, clocking in at 145g. For comparison's sake, a laser 210 like my ginga weighs in at about about 108g. A more heavy duty 210 like the toyama naborikoi kasumi clocks in at about 180g.

1_IT_SL_K_right_side.jpg

One of the things that the itinomonn is known for is preserving some of the more favorable aspects of a 240, even in its 210 variant. That means having a bit more height (46mm) than many 210s, a longer flat spot, as well as a more dramatic distal taper.

I only have the profile pictured here, but Maxim's stock measurements reveal the taper that you can expect out of the 210:

Width of Spine at Handle: 3.5mm
Width of Spine Above Heel: 2.3mm
Width of Spine at Middle: 1.9mm
Width of Spine 1cm from tip: 0.6mm

So you have some meat at the spine, which is what lends this knife its middleweight heft, combined with a super thin tip.

2_IT_SL_K_right_side.jpg

A very pleasant surprise for me was the handle. I'm not generally hot on D handles, so I wasn't sure what to expect. But the handle is very comfortable and has some surprisingly interesting character--some grain in the ho wood, and a touch of marbling on the otherwise black buffalo horn ferule! I had difficulty capturing the marbling with my crappy cell phone, but it has a very nice quality.

Another note about the handle: it is short and light. If you have large hands, it may not be for you. But with small or medium hands, there is a major advantage: the lightness of the handle allows this knife to retain an excellent blade-forward balance; yet another quality typically associated with at least a 240, that you manage to get out of this 210.

3_IT_SL_K_choil.jpg

And now we get to the grind. From my rather untrained eye, we are looking at a right-hand biased convex grind, which should lend itself to smooth cutting and relatively decent food release. The choil shot reveals more meat in the overall geometry than I was expecting, but my guess is that the choil shot is not a very good depiction of the grind as whole. Given the dramatic longitudinal distal taper on this knife, a snapshot at the heel is likely to be misleading, as it will thin out markedly toward the tip.

Anyway, so far the knife lives up to its reputation, which is a best at the price point (oh yeah, an insanely low $160 US, did I mention that??) mid-weight, which packs a lot of impressive qualities into a 'lil 210.

Gonna put it through the paces this weekend and update accordingly :)

I have the 240 gyuto and agree 100% with everything you said! :doublethumbsup:

I got a 210 myself recently (out of curiosity) and can only confirm what was said above. I would only add on the grind - it is pretty much a blended of two bevels - one about 10 mm wide and then second that goes up to the edge. There is not a clear distinction (no shinogi line), but you notice when you run your finger over it (or when, as me, you measure with a digital calliper). The second is a very strong distal taper - so you get a rather robust heel, than soon turns to rather thin mid-section and finally to a very thin tip.

On top of that the knife has great F&F and the Ho-handle is very nice too. In total - a very well cutting, good looking knife for a very reasonable price.

Yes it does look/feel to me like there's blending, forming an overall convex grind. This is a version of hamaguriba, no? Not sure if there might actually be another blended tertiary bevel headed down toward the edge. It's all subtle, so difficult to pick out, but to me it seems like one of the following is at least close to identifying the transition points between the blended bevels:

5_IT_SL_K_choil_with_bevels.jpg]

or . . .

6_IT_SL_K_choil_marked_2.jpg

But take my impressions with a grain of salt. You know what they say: a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing :dazed:

1_tacos.jpg

2_diced_radish.jpg

So dinner tonight was tacos asada and roasted sweet potato. The itinomonn performed extremely well, I was really impressed. Small dicing radish is not everyone's idea of "fun," but this really put a smile on my face. Cuts were super clean and easy, up near the tip was true "fall through." And I could really feel the grind working, pushing food to the side.

On the sweet potato, I wouldn't say the knife has enough weight to halve them easily, but there was no real "wedging" to speak of, just the amount of force that you'd expect to have to use with a 145g 210. Good release while cutting into smaller pieces.

Scallion . . . well the ones I had were a little old/wilted, but the knife still went through them very easily. Precise cuts, no bruising or crushing (the onion looks a bit bruised or torn in the photo but it was already like that, I need fresher produce lol).

Small dicing serrano -- very easy. The OOTB edge has really good bite, no trouble julienning the pepper skin side up. And that is usually a pretty good test IMHO. And then the cross cuts were even easier, of course.

Only downside so far is that I did have a tendency to sometimes make abrupt contact between the heel area and board, on forward push cuts. It seemed to happen especially when I tended to roll into the cut a little. But that is a matter of getting to know the profile and how it makes board contact.

Beyond that, super comfortable, terrifically balanced. Great little cutter. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like more knife than it is, like it out-performs its dimensions.

And at $160 . . . honestly you can't afford not to get it :spin chair:

Looks great, I wonder if the v2 gyutos have the same grind.

I have a 210 StainLess and a 270 v2. The 210 feels like a shrunken version of the 270 as far as the grind goes. Great taper, nice thickness at the spine yet quite thin behind the edge. I think both of mine have a slight right hand bias but nothing too dramatic.

I have a 210 StainLess and a 270 v2. The 210 feels like a shrunken version of the 270 as far as the grind goes. Great taper, nice thickness at the spine yet quite thin behind the edge. I think both of mine have a slight right hand bias but nothing too dramatic.

Thanks! There's a v2 270mm right now in BST, everyone should race to grab it!

Im really impressed with knife as well, especially for the price. I am considering gettting V2 240mm now. Based on specs V2 is a bit "meatier".

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a nice knife.

I have the 240 StainLess and it is excellent and well described in the OP.

Just a week a go had a conversation with some one who owns the V2 version and from that discussion and looking at the choil shots Maxim has on his site, the V2 seems to be thinner behind the edge than the StainLess version. I was told that the Itinomonn V2 grind is similar to Gengetsu by someone who owns both.

Back