2019 bucket list

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like these threads, lets do a remake!

- kenji Togashi 240 Blue Honyki
- Ikeda
- Something middle of the road from Rob The9
- mybe something from Ikkanshi Tadatsuna or from Aritsugu
- Wakui
- 240 kasumi Noborikoi...
- Maybe something Nice and tall from Raquin
- Would like to try something from Kamon

Nothing written in stone

Bernal has a lot of great Ikeda and I think Maksim has a Toyama 240 in stock right now!

Would like to see a Shig in person.

I'd like to improve my skills in thinning, polishing, and in breaking down poultry.

With a Hide Aogami, Ginga shirogami, Heji Semi-Stainless, and Suen VC Cleaver, their is no bucket list to be had. Everything else is minor curiosity.

I missed the last time his books were open for like 30 minutes LOL. I planned to take advantage of other connections if I could get a spot.

EmptyCalculatingKittiwake-small.gif
His shop is a couple hour drive from me :p
If you can't have it sent to you I can easily do that.

Cannot recommend the Aogami 1 from Ikeda enough. It's not cheap, but it may be my favorite knife.

Do you mean the Suminagashi or is there another blue 1 that i´m missing?

Do you mean the Suminagashi or is there another blue 1 that i´m missing?

I think that whole line in Aogami #1 is sumanigashi (ink blot "Damascus"). All three of my Ikedas are in that line -- 115mm petty, 190mm petty, and 165mm nakiri. I don't care about the sumanigashi pattern at all. The grind, profile, and easy sharpening/edge retention is why I love these knives.

Actually it's not about the steel at all. I think I'd like these grinds and profiles in almost any decent carbon steel. The sumanigashi pattern just makes it look a bit fancier to help justify the price. :)

I’ve asked Joe no less than 6 times for an integral and his responses are priceless. Lemme know how that goes[emoji23][emoji23]... everything else should be a breeze!
I got Joe covered, he dared me to get a very special set of ironwood scales and he would make me an integral (which he normally hates as you know lol). I think I don't have to say that was a very strong incentive for me to bid on those scales...

1. Konosuke Honyaki Aogami #2 240mm Gyuto
2. Shigefusa kitaeji 240mm gyuto
3. Shigefusa KU/kitaeji chuka (my true unicorn)
4. Catchside Honyaki gyuto with emerald green dyed maple and blue micarta handle
5. Masamoto KS or Mizuno KS style gyuto

Have a Maumasi coming, plan to get a ss gengetsu, and a suji or scimitar, havent decided on shape yet. But if i go scimitar, id like to have it made by will c, michael rader, or bill burke.

I got Joe covered, he dared me to get a very special set of ironwood scales and he would make me an integral (which he normally hates as you know lol). I think I don't have to say that was a very strong incentive for me to bid on those scales...

The hardest nut to crack has been cracked.

Last edited:
TF Denka
Watanabe Nakiri
Watanabe Honyaki
Maybe start learning single bevels
Maybe try to sell off my last tanto
How's everyone's bucket list coming along?
Didn't manage to get the Watanabe honyaki but I did manage to locate a Toyama, so I guess that counts???
Also managed to get rid of my Matsuba tanto

The hard ones are done for me, the rest should be easy!

How's everyone's bucket list coming along?
Didn't manage to get the Watanabe honyaki but I did manage to locate a Toyama, so I guess that counts???
Also managed to get rid of my Matsuba tanto

The hard ones are done for me, the rest should be easy!
So you did find a Watanabe? :D

Bucket list
-Rehandle a bunch of keeper knives with Cody Paul
-Halcyon western integral (sanmai or honyaki) :cool:
-Comet sanmai
-Raquin hunter and 250mm gyuto
-Kato suji
-240 Yo Shig Kitaeji

-A medium hard Aiiwatani Kiita

Maybe:
-Western Yoshikane damascus

Resolutions:
-Sell some knives that aren't being used often.
-Get the stone collection under some semblance of control.
Sold 3 knives so far, got another sale lined up. Acquired the Kato suiji and Yo Shig kitaeji 240mm. The stone collection is as out of control as ever but I haven't bought a stone in a month [emoji23]. The custom works in my list are still just getting closer but I got a Comet Honyaki in the meantime [emoji28].
I'm hoping I don't finish the list too early in the year [emoji28][emoji28][emoji28], you all know how that would work.

Sold 3 knives so far, got another sale lined up. Acquired the Kato suiji and Yo Shig kitaeji 240mm. The stone collection is as out of control as ever but I haven't bought a stone in a month [emoji23]. The custom works in my list are still just getting closer but I got a Comet Honyaki in the meantime [emoji28].
I'm hoping I don't finish the list too early in the year [emoji28][emoji28][emoji28], you all know how that would work.

Lol! It’s only January!

Belt sander or maybe stone wheel.

Improve my single bevel work.

Finally pick out a 240mm Gyuto.

Possibly find a mentor for knife sharpening *cough* Jon? *cough*

Back