A 100$~ Wa-Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everybody is recomending this knife over and over again, so I guess I'll go with it.
Thank you for your comment.

Are you very comfortable with free hand sharpening? I had a 270 and a suji. I liked them both but felt they took a TON of work to cut well. Is that something you are comfortable with?

-Chuck

Yes. I mean the A-type. Sorry that may have read confusing because I didn't quote the post I was responding to. I totally missed the link and recommendation to for the Gesshin Uraku. I agree with pensacola tiger's comments. Go with the Gesshin Uraku! It's great out of the box.

Sorry for the confusion.

-Chuck

i own an a type gyuto and a few of my friends/colleagues also have one. i can't say i'd recommend them to someone starting out. they're not that cheap, relatively difficult to sharpen and maintain and aren't finished that well. also, depending on the fates, your knife could be spotty all the time like mine or near stainless like my friend's. that said, if you're into a little masochism in terms of learning how to thin/sharpen, the a type is a nice little wall to climb. once you're over it, it's a decent working knife, no more no less.

i also bought an uraku for my girlfriend. it's an ok knife and much friendlier. i don't care for the steel but i think that's a personal preference. between the uraku and the a type, i'd recommend the uraku to a beginner. for what it's worth my girl's now using a ginga which she much prefers over the uraku.

I'm sorry I keep pushing new knifes in, but this is the last time, I swear!
http://www.**************.com/satadagy240.html look great but how does it preform?
http://www.**************.com/wagyuto.html
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKIVG-10.html#KAGAYAKIVG-10 to me looks the least appealing, but wanted to know what you guys think.

Sorry if I drill a hole in your head with all those questions, but I really want to get the best knife that I can for the bucks.

Oh I see that those links didn't work.
The first one was the kai Takayuki Damascus Wa-Gyuto, and the second was Takayuki Grand Chef Wa-Gyuto

Bumping it,
does anybody knows somthing about the Sakai Takayuki Damascus or the Takayuki Grand Chef?
I want to buy my knife tomorrow and need some final help.

The Grand Chef(f) is a really solid knife. It was well loved a few years ago, when it was the Grand Cheff. The wa version is apparently thinner than the Western, but it's not a "laser". I think you'd be happy with it, for sure.

I have to ask: where are you finding it for $100?

Bumping it,
does anybody knows somthing about the Sakai Takayuki Damascus or the Takayuki Grand Chef?
I want to buy my knife tomorrow and need some final help.

I own and love the Grand Chef Wa as well as the Hammered Damascus Yo, so I am quite familiar with both. What would you like to know?
Here's a low-light photo of my GCW, next to my Zwilling Kramer 52100 utility:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1274582_10151685946939716_2142713792_o.jpg
Here is a better pic, from my initial sharpening:
1240429_10151663532034716_1708149313_n.jpg

Fair disclaimer: some people recommend the Sakai Yusuke over the GCW, but I can't comment from personal experience on that.

De gustibus non est disputandum!

Frater- The prices of the knifes are about the same, and they're supposed to be made from the same kind of steel (if you got the 45 layers model), so how much of diffrent there is between them, aside from the fact that one is semi-laser and one isn't.
would you recommend me the Hammered Damascus? I really dig his style, but don't know too much about him.

Thank you in advance, Guy

Frater- The prices of the knifes are about the same, and they're supposed to be made from the same kind of steel (if you got the 45 layers model), so how much of diffrent there is between them, aside from the fact that one is semi-laser and one isn't.
would you recommend me the Hammered Damascus? I really dig his style, but don't know too much about him.

Thank you in advance, Guy

The Grand Chef Wa-handled is made from AEB-L steel with HRC of ~58 & the "damascus hammered" yo-handled which I have has a core of VG-10 and HRC ~61 (this is the one with 17 layers on each side), so this is likely a different model than you are referring to. The core steel of the 45-layer Silver-3, it has a HRC of ~60.

I would recommend the 45-layer hammered if that aesthetic is important to you -- it's definitely a good entry level J-blade if you're not looking for sheer performance above all else. I've personally gravitated to monosteel gyutos for their superior feedback on the cutting board and thinness. I believe all three styles mentioned here are made by Aoki Hamono.

Back