Advice new Sakai knife...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just have to add that I was a bit meatier in that photo. My wife was pregnant and had an excuse -- but I had no excuse other than eating fat and sloth. I was eating foie gras, more foie, and other very tasty French delights. It was seriously the best eating I have ever done in my life. I'll post a map of restaurants I did in google maps that I considered and maybe Dadra007 can say yay or nay. I didn't go to most of them though -- I just did the research on Chow.

Here is the map.

P.S. I am 10k up in the air, so my internet is working petty poorly. I'll edit later if things don't work out.

k.

Edit: Ok, already found a mistake. The blogger was teaching at Emile Henry, not Le Creuset. Same difference.

I just have to add that I was a bit meatier in that photo. My wife was pregnant and had an excuse -- but I had no excuse other than eating fat and sloth. I was eating foie gras, more foie, and other very tasty French delights. It was seriously the best eating I have ever done in my life. I'll post a map of restaurants I did in google maps that I considered and maybe Dadra007 can say yay or nay. I didn't go to most of them though -- I just did the research on Chow.
Here is the map.

P.S. I am 10k up in the air, so my internet is working petty poorly. I'll edit later if things don't work out.

k.

Edit: Ok, already found a mistake. The blogger was teaching at Emile Henry, not Le Creuset. Same difference.

Yes, Lyon is city of the food but now, a lot of restaurants are poor and just for tourists. Your list is great with some very good adress.
Just some additions : misses one "bouchon", for me, the best one (more rustic but more as formely) :
- "Chez Mounier", rue des marronniers 69002.
Another "bistro" is very great (fresh food with few choices and fine cooker) :
- Le Bistro du Palais (rue Servient 69003), it's my favorite. Bernard Lacombes's restaurant but I prefer that one to the other one "Leon de Lyon".

-For chocolate, thes best for me (and for Bocuse since 20 years) is Bernachon. Expensive but very very good know-how (Richart and Voisin are not in the same league)

-For the products, Les Halles (cours Lafayette 69003) propose all the real lyonnais' products (expensive but incredible quality choice)

-For coffee, a new little torefacteur with a great coffe-shop with expresso, cappucino, american coffee (but delicate) : Mokxa (http://www.cafemokxa.com/content/2-coffee-shop-lyon-specialty-coffee-france) - 69001-La Croix-Rousse (nice place very frenchy and the boss and his girl are bilinguals !).

Yes, it's better to rent an appartement. Hôtels are expensive city center. I can look for addresses if people are interested... Paul Bocuse is a old chief, the price are a little bit too much but the food is classic and always good. Lyon is a very nice city with italian architecture and two romantic rivers. The light is often beautifull for photographers (but french people don't speak very english, like me :spankarse: ...)

how expensive is Lyon to visit? i have a honeymoon coming up, and France is a place i want to go, as i haven't been since i was in diapers (and i sure love the food and drink). going on the Normandy apple trail (for cider and calvados) is up on the list, as is, of course, Bordeaux.

You should buy a gyuto before :justkidding:
Normandie is a nice place ("Etretat" especially) but I prefer the more wilder Breton coast (Bretagne, in french, neighbor of Normandy). The cider is also great. Bordeaux, of course, espacially Saint-Emillion : the village is fantastic (the the wine is my favorite with the Margaux (Médoc)) cool:

How difficult is it for an American to work (minimum wage is fine) for a year in Lyon--or even France in general? I know practically nothing of the work visa laws.

How difficult is it for an American to work (minimum wage is fine) for a year in Lyon--or even France in general? I know practically nothing of the work visa laws.
It's difficult : contracts of employment are legally more binding for the bosses (Social Security, guaranteed minimum wage) and the offers are rare. The economic situation is also difficult in Europe but you can find some seasonal jobs (hotel business...). You can obtain a visa if you have a contract of employment. (It's better to speak french in France !)

It's difficult : contracts of employment are legally more binding for the bosses (Social Security, guaranteed minimum wage) and the offers are rare. The economic situation is also difficult in Europe but you can find some seasonal jobs (hotel business...). You can obtain a visa if you have a contract of employment. (It's better to speak french in France !)
You are right, except for bars and restaurants.
You can find a job (i' not saying easily) if the manager is 20-40 years old.
A few french words are probably enough for a first job in France.
I'm french also btw ;)

Back