Advice on first "Real" Knife as a 50th Birthday treat to myself?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I collected it yesterday and am really happy with the Rosewood handle and the Saya that are a fairly good match, particularly with the white highlights on the Saya matching the white spacers on the handle.

As to the blade, it is beautiful and the balance and weight feels great even for a noob like myself. As yet I haven't had time / an excuse to try to it properly however the first thing I tried it on was a pear (fitting with the Nashiji finish) and some other fruit for my kids. Wow, thanks to Arun / James' sharpening it is like a razor and I was truly impressed with how the edges of the cut fruit were so perfectly angled as a result!

Thanks again for everyone's advice on this, just what I was hoping for, now to resist becoming addicted to jknives!

Photos as promised....View attachment 54098 View attachment 54099 View attachment 54100 View attachment 54101 View attachment 54102

Sweet! The handle makes it extra special. You'll enjoy this for many years :).

Congrats! Make sure to pick up a couple stones, or a nice combo stone to keep it in shape! You should be able to get a couple weeks of home use, maybe a couple months depending on usage, without needing to touch it up.

Cheers!

Thanks again everyone, still trying to adjust my cutting style from Western to jknife but enjoying every use of it.

Already researching stones and a lot of people mention the King 1000 / 6000 combo to be the way to go, but also thinking of getting a coarse stone as well to re-edge my old 10" Vnox and practice on that blade first, any budget recommendations as I'm unlikely to use it very much? Also at what point will I need a stone flattener, presumably not for a while?

Lastly.....is it wrong that I now have the urge to get a matching or similar Petty?!?!
(Cue the "Welcome to the Dark Side" memes!)

Cool that you dig the knife. It's a very good knife.

James had some combo stones I think made by syousin but I wonder whether you should just buy a few good whole stones. IIRC, regular (not hyper) King stones can clog up when sharpening stainless steels. Do you want soaker stones or splash & go?

You really should flatten and champfer your stone before first use. Wet and dry sandpaper on a flat backing will work or you could get a ceramic flattener (which will eventually need to be flattened itself). If you can afford it, an Atoma plate is excellent. Get the one with the handle.

Yes, get a petty. Don't build a set just because it's a set. Only get a knife from the same line if it suits what you need the knife for (which it mau well). Another which knife should I buy thread?

Not really sure re soaker or splash & go, presumably soaker takes longer to prep but thats not a deal breaker.

Thinking initially I just need 3 entry level stones to keep the Tanaka tuned, as well as bringing my old Mundial and super-0ld Vnox Chef knives back to life. Then over time I can gauge what flattener kit I need.

However would I be better to spend a bit more on the initial stones so that I dont want to replace them later down the track....not really sure how much the quality really matters for a home cook?

Get a 400, 1k and 3k and you will be set for life.

I would second a 400ish, 1000, 3000 stone. Don’t find that super high grits are needed for the average Gyuto (I like to have some bite to my edge). But really it comes down to preference and budget. Looks like another visit to James is in order. I’m sure they could help you find what is best for you.

Back