All About AEB-L

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this is interesting...chart and discussion show viable path to ~63 HRC

1750-prequench-temper-toughness-hardness.jpg

Last edited:
Yes 63 Rc should be possible for anyone. My recent heat treatments for max hardness have been in the 64.5-65 range.

Very interesting article. I just flew over it in a couple minutes, but it quickly became obvious that it needs a proper read.

I don't have any secrets, it's all in the article.

Nice writeup. I'm also running aeb-l at 65 lately, have some 63-64 still, but the latest heat treated bunch is a tough 65, I age it.

Reminds me of how I love all the people who say "just follow the manufacturer's datasheet for heat treatment, obviously they know best." LOL

The datasheet is a good starting point. But with a hardness tester you can learn what response you are actually getting.

Thanks Larrin!

It's quite interesting to see that the freezer actually makes a difference - and especially the bump at 1950°F.

I wonder whether other ice baths would make a greater difference.

Thanks Larrin!

It's quite interesting to see that the freezer actually makes a difference - and especially the bump at 1950°F.

I wonder whether other ice baths would make a greater difference.
Anything that is colder than a freezer would be more effective. It’s all about temperature.

I love AEB-L as a kitchen knife steel, which is probably part of why it has become more and more common for custom knife makers to use it as such.

Darn you Larrin, you make me regret not choosing a path in metallurgy, it's so fascinating :)

Thank you for all the interesting articles!

That was a great read. I love how you dissect the properties of AEB-L and explain what are the ramifications and the best uses of this steel.

We have to convince Dalman to make a batch of Standard model with Masur Birch & Raindeer handle.;)

Just love the detail in your articles Larrin. I've been a fan of AEB-l for a long time and found this information very interesting and educational!

Are there any production Japanese knives made in aeb-l heat treated between 62-64 HRC?

Are there any production Japanese knives made in aeb-l heat treated between 62-64 HRC?

I'd be curious too if any examples come up beyond 61-62 with a ∆ of +/- 0.5 - 1.0 hrc point

Back