Another Bread Knife Recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the 360 Misono awaiting a rehandle, but wouldn't mind something smaller without the sharp teeth to be less aggressive to a cutting surface. The Tojiro ITK and Mac Superior are two common recommendations, but they aren't readily available in Canada AFAIK (at a decent price that is, a local shop sells Mac but I can't stand to pay full MSRP). The Gude doesn't really appeal to me with the full bolster either.

One of my favourite Canadian online shops sells the Mac Professional which looks similar to the Superior but with a nicer handle including a bolster for about $160CAD. Not sure what the difference is between the Superior and Professional where it really counts (blade). They also carry the Zwilling-Kramer bread knives (Damascus and the Essential) at reasonable prices, that said still they'd be the most expensive options, but at least wouldn't need a rehandle.

Does anyone have experience with the ZK bread knives? The serrations look interesting (sort of a two small, one large, repeat… scallop pattern), not too sure about knuckle clearance though (Misono has none, but my wa conversion will al least provide a bit of a gap).

Thanks KKF

EDIT - also open to hearing other suggestions

I have the 360 Misono awaiting a rehandle, but wouldn't mind something smaller without the sharp teeth to be less aggressive to a cutting surface. The Tojiro ITK and Mac Superior are two common recommendations, but they aren't readily available in Canada AFAIK (at a decent price that is, a local shop sells Mac but I can't stand to pay full MSRP). The Gude doesn't really appeal to me with the full bolster either.

One of my favourite Canadian online shops sells the Mac Professional which looks similar to the Superior but with a nicer handle including a bolster for about $160CAD. Not sure what the difference is between the Superior and Professional where it really counts (blade). They also carry the Zwilling-Kramer bread knives (Damascus and the Essential) at reasonable prices, that said still they'd be the most expensive options, but at least wouldn't need a rehandle.

Does anyone have experience with the ZK bread knives? The serrations look interesting (sort of a two small, one large, repeat… scallop pattern), not too sure about knuckle clearance though (Misono has none, but my wa conversion will al least provide a bit of a gap).

Thanks KKF

EDIT - also open to hearing other suggestions
I used to have a Superior bk I bought from DA Niels for a very reasonable price (120cad... really not too bad considering what they charge for like every other mac knife they sell). The tojiro ITK can be imported from Japan quite easily via eBay I think this is your cheapest option! If you don't want to have to rehandle I think Korin has a Togiharu (house brand) wa bk... Forgive me if I'm saying the wrong name for Korin's house brand. Never tried the ITK or the knife from Korin but I did love my Superior bk.

I've owned and used the big 3 German brands, Henckels, Wustie, Messermeister. The Henckels didn't suck. It went to a PIF project after the Gude(s). Wustie did suck (IMO) quite dull, quite fast. The Messermeister Meridian I liked and kept for awhile but the little Gude put it out of a job.

Surprised you can't find the Tojiro or Mac up in the Great White North. WS, Cutlery and More, Amazon?

But Gude is the one. I got my first one with an Olive wood handle from

http://www.messer-art.de/epages/62417631.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62417631/Categories

Had to check to see if they had bolsters after reading your post. They do but it's never been an issue. Shipping was not fast but was reasonable. Don't know how bad they hurt you coming into Canada.

Hmm… I'll have to go back to D.A. Niels sometime on my way home from the office, I kinda "outgrew" their knife selection awhile ago. That said they still have some decent kitchenware stuff (got my fermenting crock there). The online place is like ordering from doesn't seem to have the superior, and the professional is only a bit more plus no PST.

I've ordered from Cutlery and More before and it does work for us up here daveb, but the problem is they will only ship with their overpriced UPS World Ease and charge the highest rate of duty on knives (11% vs 7%), and I don't even get a formal invoice of what REALLY goes to the CBSA so for all I know they are involved in racketeering. I once asked if I could have the free UPS Standard those in the USA get so I could do the customs myself and was told no.

I think Williams Somoma may have some locations in Alberta and I should look into that further.

Back