Anybody familiar with the King 6000?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbott

Reaction score
Was just given a brand new King 6000 from my grandfather, and was wondering if anybody out there is familiar with its performance. Can't find much in the way of reviews. It was given to him with intention of sharpening chisels, but he never used it (along with a King 800 and a 1200, both of which he gave me but seem redundant with my Chosera 1000). Just curious about what I can expect.

The King 6K isn't a bad stone -- cuts fairly fast, wears much slower than the lower grit King stones, and if used carefully doesn't produce much if any mud. It is softer than a Chosera, so you should use light pressure. I don't know if mud makes for a better polish or not, as I don't raise any as a rule, used lightly you just get black swarf.

Works nicely as a splash and go, I've never soaked mine at all.

I've used mine for about 15 years on woodworking tools and it does a good job. Probably better stones out there, but for free I'd at least try it out.

I have just gotten an Arashimaya 6K, will report on the difference once I get a chance to try it out.

Peter

Good enough for Murray Carter.

I have one, and I like it. It's cheap, and there surely are better stones out there, but keep in mind technique is far more important than tools.

sorry none of those you mention but i have a #1000 that i almost never use, dont like, dishes fast and doesent hold any water, works better on carbon.

also have a S-45 #4000 that i like a lot:thumbsup: produces a screaming final edge on stainless AEB-L, i keep mine frequently clean with a nagura.
I guess the #6000 is quite similar and therefor pretty good:)

my king 6k does wonders on my carbon steel blades. SS is another story tho

6k king is my go to finishing stone on my double bevel carbons , it is failry cheap , i do like it

The king 800 will do nice things to clad knives that your Chosera won't.

Back