Appreciate some sharpening guidance

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm strongly leaning to the JKI combo set with flattening plate and holder.....have you found a need for anything between the 2K and 6K ?

Not at the level of skill I'm at now, which I'd describe as "decent, workable edge and improving, but no master" like many of the others here. I'm an enthusiast home cook first, and view knives and stones as necessary (but also very cool) tools. I don't see sharpening as yet another separate hobby, refining the edge past what works to put food on the table.

This may change as I get deeper into all this. There is a rabbit hole here, for sure...

I'm strongly leaning to the JKI combo set with flattening plate and holder.....have you found a need for anything between the 2K and 6K ?

You won't need anything in between...and don't forget to add a touch of bleach to the water and change it at least once a month or so. Actually if you avoid natural stones, the rabbit hole is not so bad. The more you sharpen the less stones you need...I almost never use anything but a finisher and rare occasion a mid grit. Low grit is really for emergencies or abused knives.

Thanks for your input.....didn't know you can leave the soakers in water full time, does this apply for all soaker stones?

Sorta' of, mostly.

I think that's generally true, but really each stone and its construction (chemistry? bonding agent?) determines how well it can be perma-soaked. I think it's best to find the specific advice from the manufacturer or vendor. (Jon's pretty good about saying for the stones he carries, but sometimes it can be buried in the fine print. You could always ask him.)

E.g. in the soaking set you are talking about his 6K is splash & go and also the stone he recommends in a splash & go stone sequence. He also notes it can be perma-soaked, when that's more convenient. I try save notes when someone knowledgeable says a stone can be or can't be soaked. The only common stone I've noted that you can't (shouldn't) perma-soak is the Chosera/Pro stones from Naniwa. (Jon has others you can't soak, but he's very careful to list that and they aren't commonly discussed.)

(Aside: I've very amused by a comment I saved about the Naniwa Superstones, "they're resinoid so you can perma-soak them, but they're so soft that'd be stupid.")

Sorta' of, mostly.

E.g. in the soaking set you are talking about his 6K is splash & go

Actually the 6k in that set is a soaker (6kS)...pretty sure the S is for soaker...

Hmmm, maybe they substitute depending on stock?

The description of the set clearly lists the soaker, but the set I picked up definitely has the same stone as the 6K splash & go. Doesn't matter, (well, unless you already have a preference,) the splash & go can be perma-soaked too.

Wanted to thank everyone for all the great tips and information......I just spoke with Sara at JKI and she was most helpful and kind with her time explaining the differences between the stones, etc....I decide to go with the Combo set 400/2000/6000 stones, Flattening plate and stone holder with base. Looking forward in getting everything set up.

Wanted to thank everyone for all the great tips and information......I just spoke with Sara at JKI and she was most helpful and kind with her time explaining the differences between the stones, etc....I decide to go with the Combo set 400/2000/6000 stones, Flattening plate and stone holder with base. Looking forward in getting everything set up.

You've made a very good decision and one that will keep you from having to upgrade. Don't forget to watch Jon's videos and start slow. He covers the sharpie trick in one and many people find it very helpful when starting. And don't be shy about asking questions when you get to that point.

You've made a very good decision and one that will keep you from having to upgrade. Don't forget to watch Jon's videos and start slow. He covers the sharpie trick in one and many people find it very helpful when starting. And don't be shy about asking questions when you get to that point.

Thanks.....appreciate the time you spent posting to my thread. I did check out a few of Jon's videos and its pretty straight forward, I've spent most of my life around tools for a living so I'm comfortable handling the tools. I see this more as.....learning a new technique with a specific tool and getting to know the feel and feedback one gets from the process of sharpening.....I'm sure there will be a few mistakes along the way but I'm up for the challenge and looking forward to something new for me.

Back