Are there any Petty Knifes similar to the Takamura that come in a "Wa" variant?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorsfan

Reaction score
So after ordering a brand new Gyuto, I want to order a Petty to go along with it. I've looked at a ton of options, and the one option that seems to be frequently recommended is the Takamura R2. The knife on paper seems to be incredible value, considering what you're getting for just over a $100. And yet, I have a bone to pick with it. IMHO, I'm not a huge fan of western handles and I particularly can't stand the look of the Rosewood. So I would love to see some very similar knives that come with a Wa-handle. Or you could convince me that a Western handle would be better suited for a Petty like this one due to less maintenance (?) because I remember seeing that argument made before.

Also, on a side-note, none of the Pettys seem to be particularly tall... is that just the profile of most Pettys? Either way, a taller profile would also be cool if anyone could find one, but I personally wouldn't mind the shorter one as the Petty is going to see most of its time for in-hand stuff.

It does seem that the majority of pettys ignore knuckle clearance, on the assumption that you'd use a different knife if you needed that. There's probably a significant trade-off, where increasing the height increases the clumsiness for in-hand cutting.

This can be fixed by two different compromises: making the heel just a little taller but not too much, or keeping the heel low while increasing the length. With a long enough knife (whatever "long enough" works out to for you), you can just keep your knife-hand away from the board altogether, and still have enough blade to work with.

Clearly a knife that's much too long would also be clumsy for in-hand, so it's a case of figuring out which type of compromise suits you better. As long as it works...

You can consider Ashi ginga or Gesshin ginga (JKI version) if you're looking for a stainless laser
^^ this. I like TF Nashiji pettys a lot too, and they're not too spendy.
I'm in the minority here--I don't like Takamura R2 much (personal preference).

Height's largely irrelevant for a petty--For taller stuff use pull cuts/pull-chop and knuckle-clearance is a non-issue. Or just change grip.

Last edited:
^^ this. I like TF Nashiji pettys a lot too, and they're not too spendy.
I'm in the minority here--I don't like Takamura R2 much (personal preference).

Height's irrelevant for a petty--For taller stuff use pull cuts, pull-chop and knuckle-clearance is a non-issue.

Yea, if you dont mind stainless clad carbon, my vote would actually be for a western handled TF. For petty I like the option of leaving it wet for a little bit without having to worry about the wa handle soaking up too much junk. JCK has pakka handled TF nashiji under the FRKZ label.

Oh also, the Tanaka ginsan also comes in taller heights, depening on the retailer

mutsumi hinoura blue super petty's tend to be tall and are excellent cutter's but they can be spendy/ rosewoody

I've been considering a Wa-handled petty - I Iike the Takamura but I'm not a fan of Western handles either. Ashi Ginga is the leading candidate so far.

something else to consider would be a petty alternative... such as a ko-bunka. i have this 140mm Anryu Ko-Bunka that serves a similar purpose on my rack and has pretty solid knuckle clearance. i know that he is no longer making knives, but expanding into "ko" styles might be of use in your research as well.

So after ordering a brand new Gyuto, I want to order a Petty to go along with it. I've looked at a ton of options, and the one option that seems to be frequently recommended is the Takamura R2. The knife on paper seems to be incredible value, considering what you're getting for just over a $100. And yet, I have a bone to pick with it. IMHO, I'm not a huge fan of western handles and I particularly can't stand the look of the Rosewood. So I would love to see some very similar knives that come with a Wa-handle. Or you could convince me that a Western handle would be better suited for a Petty like this one due to less maintenance (?) because I remember seeing that argument made before.

Also, on a side-note, none of the Pettys seem to be particularly tall... is that just the profile of most Pettys? Either way, a taller profile would also be cool if anyone could find one, but I personally wouldn't mind the shorter one as the Petty is going to see most of its time for in-hand stuff.
Something like this?

https://carbonknifeco.com/collections/shibata-knives/products/shibata-kotetsu-petty-150mm
Though Takamura's without red pakkawood handles certainly exist:
https://mtckitchen.com/takamura-hsps-pro-petty-150mm-5-9/

Back