Best angle measuring tools?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to hone in on my angles. While the marker trick is useful to visualize what parts of the edge I'm sharpening, it would still be useful to get a more specific number. I know that it's more important to pick an angle and stick with it, and I'm not trying to get a perfect angle to the tenth of a degree, but I'm just trying to find as many tools as possible so that I can get better since this is how my brain works.

Thanks

I have that igaging thingy.. it's not exactly cheap.. used it a few times and stopped.. bulky and heavy..

too precised for my liking.. I kind of find its more muscle memory than a specific angle per say

Protractor and making little wooden or cork wedges with common angle cutouts as well

I think this is the key here. Maybe just using a protractor and cutting out a piece of cardboard would be the easiest and probably also the most accurate.

Try AngleFinder for iPhone and use a reference such as a stack of coins to get a feel for spine height off the stone.
You may be surprised how low (or high) an angle you are actually using.
Cheers
J

Start from a right angle, go halfway to 45, half again to 22.5 then half again to around 10. Kind of surprising how close you can get by eye/feel if you break it down into manageable increments

Second the cutouts - balsa is also great for this (and you should always have some around, makes a great strop and a good material for knife block inserts and edge protectors).

Also: Laser pointer and protractor to measure existing edges (I wrote enough about this in various posts I think :).

Iphone or android app will do the trick. I used to play wih it a while while back, gives you some idea but not very usefull on a long run.

try stacking 2 pennies on the right side and 3 on the left (if you're a righty)...that should give you a starting point...gadgets suck, this isn't something you'll need but it should give you an idea of what would be a decent angle...

try stacking 2 pennies on the right side and 3 on the left (if you're a righty)...that should give you a starting point...gadgets suck, this isn't something you'll need but it should give you an idea of what would be a decent angle...

Maybe I've got it backwards, but wouldn't I want to do a steeper angle on the left (if I'm a righty), and a 'shallower' angle on the right, thus put more pennies on the right side, so to be closer to the asymmetry of a kataha edge?
Something tells me I'm wrong and I need a lesson in asymmetrical grinds.

Maybe I've got it backwards, but wouldn't I want to do a steeper angle on the left (if I'm a righty), and a 'shallower' angle on the right, thus put more pennies on the right side, so to be closer to the asymmetry of a kataha edge?

A blade with such an edge would steer clockwise like crazy. The edge is off-centered to the left, so you have a small bevel on the left side and a larger one on the right side. There will be very little friction on the left side and much more on the right one. This causes clockwise steering. To compensate, you reduce friction on the right side -- steeper angle, thinning behind the edge -- and increase friction on the left side, by taking a more obtuse angle.

I've never once known what angle I'm sharpening at. And never once has it mattered.

@Benuser he wanted something "closer to the asymmetry of a kataha" edge, and that way he is getting it, including the disadvantages, no?

Raising the left angle doesn't affect the degree of asymmetry which is given by the entire configuration and can be seen by the very location of the edge.

I should have added that double-bevelled Japanese knives are much more related to French blades of the end of 19th, beginning of the 20th century, than to traditional single-bevelled Japanese blades.

If you were try to use a kataba style edge like on an usuba to bisect a larger denser food like a melon (just as an example), you will experience very noticeable steering (clockwise for a right handed blade) and likely wedging as well. Whereas the geometry and profile of usuba excels for thin slicing because that wedge shaped right face does not have a chance to friction into a bulk piece of food.
The relative asymmetry on double beveled knives (those that are asymmetric) makes for a lesser effect but it will still be present. Think of what you can do with and around your bevels as the way to offset the tendency. That is why you would consider a raised angle on the left bevel relative to the right.

Yes. And I thought since he wanted the edge "like a kataha", he wanted it to steer :)

If I'd seen this earlier, I'd have put the angle cube in the same box for you. That said, I'm a firm adherent of the sharpie trick until your muscle memory and experience guides you to (and keeps you at) the edge of the edge or behind the edge or wherever you need to be. You will become a much better sharpener for it.

If I'd seen this earlier, I'd have put the angle cube in the same box for you. That said, I'm a firm adherent of the sharpie trick until your muscle memory and experience guides you to (and keeps you at) the edge of the edge or behind the edge or wherever you need to be. You will become a much better sharpener for it.

Killing me, Badger! Just kidding.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Back