• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Bizen Osafune Nihon-to 240mm honyaki tamahagane gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks, selling a super unique and rare knife that I had fun playing with and now can pass along. I wanted to try pure tamahagane steel for a long time and this was the knife that allowed me to do that. Purchased from Knife Japan as a custom order. Ueta-san, the Swordsmith, doesn't sell gyutos and in fact asked what a gyuto was when Michael tried to describe what I wanted from him. He actually creates his own tamahagane by using a magnet to pick out ferrous sands. You can see it in the steel - check out the kanji photo for the up close on the steel.

Here is a link to a 180mm that Ueta-san made: Bizen Osafune Nihon-to Santoku 180mm Honyaki Tamahagane

If you are interested in the history and trying a piece of true handmade steel starting from scratch, check this out. Really buttery smooth on the stones - brings up swarth almost instantly. Takes a very toothy edge, I suspect because of carbide allocation. Probably one of, if not the easiest, blade I've worked on. I've smoothed the spine and choil on mine, and thinned it slightly. It could probably use more thinning over time but I'd qualify this as a workhorse type of blade. It falls through food better than many, convex hamaguri grind.

Let me know if you have questions. I paid $1042 for it, and just want someone to try it and enjoy the history of such things. Asking $700 CONUS, $750 Int'l. Specs and photos below.
220 grams49mm at the heel247mm blade length399mm OAL

Thanks for looking.
IMG_6369.jpg
IMG_6370.jpg
IMG_6371.jpg
IMG_6372.jpg
IMG_6373.jpg
IMG_6374.jpg
IMG_6375.jpg
IMG_6376.jpg
IMG_6378.jpg
IMG_6379.jpg