Knives & Stones Black Friday / Cyber Monday Sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got one too (Miz 270 from James)! This will be my first "workhorse"...most of my knives are more in the laser camp...my other 270 gyuto is a Wakui, which I find amazingly light and thin where it counts for a 270. Looking forward to smashing this Miz through prep for a big pot of soup or stew!

Cheers,
Blair

I got one too (Miz 270 from James)! This will be my first "workhorse"...most of my knives are more in the laser camp...my other 270 gyuto is a Wakui, which I find amazingly light and thin where it counts for a 270. Looking forward to smashing this Miz through prep for a big pot of soup or stew!

Cheers,
Blair

I have to say regarding James' service and speed - WOW! I have my cyber-Monday knife in my hands as of Friday...in Canada! Super.

It is the Miz 270. James' ebony handle is superb...one of the best handles I have on any knife here. This must be regarded as a huge upgrade over a stock handle. Outstanding.

Put the knife to work on a few ingredients tonight: green cabbage, king oyster mushrooms, cured tartufo salumi, and raw chicken breast.

The knife is very reactive from the start. But it did not brown the cabbage. The knife did start to show colors early in the prep session though. That is when I decided to thinly slice some salumi for a snack, carefully working the meat along the entire length of the blade. That seemed to halt any brown coloring on the blade. By the time the chicken breast was all cut and the knife washed and dried, a dark patina with significant blue/indigo had formed covering the bottom third or more of the knife, including the entire wide bevel.

This is all cool with me, and I knew the knife has these traits before I purchased, so I have no issues at all with it. But if another buyer wanted all his knives to look shiny and new all the time, this is *not* the knife for you!

This knife is a mid-to-heavyweight...I think workhorse is a fair description. It did a nice job on the finer/thinner cutting as well as the brute tasks (like splitting the whole head of cabbage).

Very happy with this purchase and high praise to James for great products and fantastic service!!!

Cheers,
Blair

"a dark patina with significant blue/indigo had formed covering the bottom third or more of the knife, including the entire wide bevel."

Not without pics it didn't. Ha!:detective:

I pulled the trigger on a 270mm miz also. This will be the 3rd one I've owned, but the first I've bought brand new. I can't wait to put it to work. @blue steel, just polish the bevels with something like a king 800 and it will greatly reduce the reactivity.

The Hinoura migaki ss clad white steel gyuto arrived from Australia to USA quickly on Friday! The K&S semi-custom ebony and horn ferrule handle is top notch! Awesome deal, now I wish that I'd bought the K&S edition Tanaka blue gyuto that was on BST for cheap... I also wish I'd sprung for one of the Mizuno 270 gyutos too but my bank account thanks me for exercising restraint. :)

Thank you James! Knives and stones rule, great product and service, will definitely buy again! :doublethumbsup:

I also received the Miz 270 on Friday. I guess this shows how inefficient Australia Post is!

The F&F is pretty good. James said that he hadn't done anything to the knife except put a handle on it. As mentioned, it's a beautiful handle. Second best handle I've held. Brilliant, James. And it balances the knife nicely (about 0.5-1 cm in front of by pinch). The spine and choil seem to have been rounded, but not to the levels of comfort that James created with my Shiro Kamo. The grind is convex and appears well very executed. It's a quite pretty knife. It's acceptably thin behind the edge. OOTB edge is functional but not refined. Not able to shave at all. Paper cutting was possible but not effortless.

Had an opportunity to compare to some of my other workhorses last night. Food release was good. Cutting through potato was fine. Harder ingredients (beetroot, sweet potato) were not as effortless. I suspect this is because of the factory edge. Didn't wedge in carrots. I didn't use any reactive ingredients, so no patina.

I'll report back when I've sharpened it.

The Hinoura migaki ss clad white steel gyuto arrived from Australia to USA quickly on Friday! The K&S semi-custom ebony and horn ferrule handle is top notch! Awesome deal, now I wish that I'd bought the K&S edition Tanaka blue gyuto that was on BST for cheap... I also wish I'd sprung for one of the Mizuno 270 gyutos too but my bank account thanks me for exercising restraint. :)

Thank you James! Knives and stones rule, great product and service, will definitely buy again! :doublethumbsup:

That was my tanaka in BST. I only discounted it $30, it is a super duper bargain for $150. Great cutter, I only sold it because the profile had more belly than what I'm used to.

"a dark patina with significant blue/indigo had formed covering the bottom third or more of the knife, including the entire wide bevel."

Not without pics it didn't. Ha!:detective:

Hi Dave,

LOL - I am not so good with pics, but I'll see what I can do shortly!

Cheers,
Blair

@blue steel, just polish the bevels with something like a king 800 and it will greatly reduce the reactivity.

Thanks for the tip! So polishing is better for reducing the reactivity than building and keeping the patina? Is it because the surface metal is a lot more reactive than what is underneath? Closest I have to a King 800 is a Chosera 1000 - should that work for this task?

Cheers,
Blair

I also received the Miz 270 on Friday. I guess this shows how inefficient Australia Post is!

The F&F is pretty good. James said that he hadn't done anything to the knife except put a handle on it. As mentioned, it's a beautiful handle. Second best handle I've held. Brilliant, James. And it balances the knife nicely (about 0.5-1 cm in front of by pinch). The spine and choil seem to have been rounded, but not to the levels of comfort that James created with my Shiro Kamo. The grind is convex and appears well very executed. It's a quite pretty knife. It's acceptably thin behind the edge. OOTB edge is functional but not refined. Not able to shave at all. Paper cutting was possible but not effortless.

Had an opportunity to compare to some of my other workhorses last night. Food release was good. Cutting through potato was fine. Harder ingredients (beetroot, sweet potato) were not as effortless. I suspect this is because of the factory edge. Didn't wedge in carrots. I didn't use any reactive ingredients, so no patina.

I'll report back when I've sharpened it.

So I've sharpened the Miz 270. I decided after reviewing a number of old posts that a hamigabura edge was most appropriate, which gave me a bit of the heebie-jeebies as a novice sharpener. Anyway, I watched Jon's videos twice over and it wasn't as hard as I'd feared. There were a few bits of the bevel that were difficult to grind, especially at both heels. After dong some reading, it suspect that they were over grinds in the original grind. I used a Chosera 1k and 3k, then a 20 degree right microbevel on 8k Junpaku. In retrospect I should have omitted the 3k and maybe microbevelled at 30 degrees.

There were a few places where I scratched above the shinogi line and I did clean these up with 600 grit wet & dry (sorry for my vanity- I know it's a tool), which blended in well with the kasumi finish.

The steel was pretty easy to deburr.

I did notice that the convexity is much more significant on the right side.

The knife now cuts very well.

It has great food release and is beautifully balanced. Doesn't wedge in carrots, but does make its presence in them known more than some of my thinner knives.

Obviously can't comment on edge retention yet.

Great knife.

Thanks James.

Last edited:
So I've sharpened the Miz 270. I decided after reviewing a number of old posts that a hamigabura edge was most appropriate, which gave me a bit of the heebie-jeebies as a novice sharpener. Anyway, I watched Jon's videos twice over and it wasn't as hard as I'd feared. There were a few bits of the bevel that were difficult to grind, especially at both heels. After dong some reading, it suspect that they were over grinds in the original grind. I used a Chosera 1k and 3k, then a 20 degree right microbevel on 8k Junpaku. In retrospect I should have omitted the 3k and maybe microbevelled at 30 degrees.

There were a few places where I scratched above the shinogi line and I did clean these up with 600 grit wet & dry (sorry for my vanity- I know it's a tool), which blended in well with the kasumi finish.

The steel was pretty easy to deburr.

I did notice that the convexity is much more significant on the right side.

The knife now cuts very well.

It has great food release and is beautifully balanced. Doesn't wedge in carrots, but does make its presence in them known more than some of my thinner knives.

Obviously can't comment on edge retention yet.

Great knife.

Thanks James.

Hey Nemo,

Thanks for your write ups! Would you be able to post a link of the video you followed? I'd like to take a look and hopefully learn also!

Cheers,
Blair

Hey Nemo,

Thanks for your write ups! Would you be able to post a link of the video you followed? I'd like to take a look and hopefully learn also!

Cheers,
Blair

I used Jon at JKIs videos on sharpening single bevel knives (available on the JKI website under "media", then "sharpening playlist". Also on the JKI youtube channel) but just did it on both sides. I used the video on theory of single bevel sharpening and practical demonstration of single bevel shsrpening (minus ura sharpening, of course- I deburred as for a double bevel knife). There is another video on single bevel microbevels.

Thanks again Jon for your fantastic videos and you often very informative posts.

I found this thread quite helpful: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/2878-New-Mizuno-270-Gyuto

For some reason theabove lin takes you to the last page but you can navigate to the start.

I used Jon at JKIs videos on sharpening single bevel knives (available on the JKI website under "media", then "sharpening playlist". Also on the JKI youtube channel) but just did it on both sides. I used the video on theory of single bevel sharpening and practical demonstration of single bevel shsrpening (minus ura sharpening, of course- I deburred as for a double bevel knife). There is another video on single bevel microbevels.

Thanks again Jon for your fantastic videos and you often very informative posts.

I found this thread quite helpful: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/2878-New-Mizuno-270-Gyuto

For some reason theabove lin takes you to the last page but you can navigate to the start.

Thanks!

I am still recovering fromt the BF sale. Will list some cool things before the xmas :D

Back