Buying a new cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure this has been brought up before but....
I really want to get on the cleaver band wagon. I really think they would be a blast. Are people using these on a sani tuff or similar cutting surface. I am just wondering what they would do to my boardsmith board. I just don't feel like having a bunch of huge divots in my board. I would be very very unhappy. Just wondering people's experiences with this. Assuming thinner laser like cleavers would do less damage than heavier ones.

I use the Sani-Tuffs to prevent excessive wear on the edge-I thin the first 2-3 mm of the blade down to superthin. I suppose if I whacked at my end-cut wooden board with real force it would produce a 'divot', but you don't use that kind of muscle when using a Chukabocho. See Andy777's 'Discourse On Why I like Cleavers".

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

My shig sticks into my boardsmith worse(better?) than any cleaver I've used on it.

Fantastic deal on eBay!: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Forge...aultDomain_0&hash=item4cfed6b8b7#ht_500wt_986

Snapbucket

My shig sticks into my boardsmith worse(better?) than any cleaver I've used on it.

Good to hear I can use a cleaver on it. Disturbing your shig sticks in it, but hey sounds like a sweet knife. Thanks.

I am sure this has been brought up before but....
I really want to get on the cleaver band wagon. I really think they would be a blast. Are people using these on a sani tuff or similar cutting surface. I am just wondering what they would do to my boardsmith board. I just don't feel like having a bunch of huge divots in my board. I would be very very unhappy. Just wondering people's experiences with this. Assuming thinner laser like cleavers would do less damage than heavier ones.

I think the underlying issue here is with the term "cleaver" which conjures images of a meat cleaver and heavy whacking. A more appropriate and often used term is Chinese chef's knife. It can be used for all of the same tasks as a gyuto and/or suji and produces no more damage to a board when used with appropriate chopping and slicing techniques.

I think the underlying issue here is with the term "cleaver" which conjures images of a meat cleaver and heavy whacking. A more appropriate and often used term is Chinese chef's knife. It can be used for all of the same tasks as a gyuto and/or suji and produces no more damage to a board when used with appropriate chopping and slicing techniques.

Good to hear. Think this will be my next purchase.

I have used a cheapie small Chinese cleaver but it never did stick with me. Probably because of the not so good stainless.

Should I go for the smaller 1303 or the full sized 1103 CCK? Is the handle upgrade worth the extra ~$60?

Cheers!
rj

Back