Carter on OCC

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And they are just frigging kit bikes! They buy a frame here, a motor there, and just bolt the crap together. Of course, I stopped watching the bullsh!t show a long time ago as it was just the same shite over and over.

Yeah, like Spike said, they bolt the bike together and then modify off the shelf stuff. Compared to some other makers, they do very little fabrication. And when they do fabricate, if they can throw it in the water jet or mill machine, they do it that way and let the computers handle it. Like buying a knife blank from Jantz, buying premade scales from someone else, bolting it all together, doing a little finish sharpening and rounding the spine, and calling it a custom made knife.

I heard their show bikes were ~$150k, over priced for the bike itself, but probably good value advertisement wise, and a write off. This was years ago though, maybe they have jacked up their already ridiculous prices.

And they are just frigging kit bikes! They buy a frame here, a motor there, and just bolt the crap together. Of course, I stopped watching the bullsh!t show a long time ago as it was just the same shite over and over.

+1
Anybody knows why 350K? I got the newsletter as well and been thinking that kind of bike would not be worth 100 grand, so is one having to pay for filming whole serie??

I cannot imagine though whats going to happen to prices for Carters if he gets 1000000000000 fellows in queue.

I cannot imagine though whats going to happen to prices for Carters if he gets 1000000000000 fellows in queue.

Yup. If you want a Carter, get your order in now before the wait and price get insane. Anyone know when this will start to air?

It isn't going to air. Carter said he doesn't have the dough, so he's saying basically if someone has a house they'd like to sell and give him the cash, he'll do it.

The reason it's $350k is because it gets 3 million viewers per episode, and it's the #4 show for men 18-35.

good one Dave and Potato :happy2::happy2::happy2:

Oh, damn!!

I'm considering the 5.4 sun Stainless Fukugozai Funayuki (White Steel). From what I've read, Carter's handles aren't the best and are good candidates for rehandling.

Has anyone rehandled this line of knife and, if so, what has been your experience?

And does anyone know if the spine and choil on these knives are eased or rounded?

Thanks.

Can't recall if the choil is eased/rounded but I do recall the spine on every Carter I've ever had being rounded.

Lots and lots and lots of Carter's SFGZ series knives have been rehandled. I've had at least two that were rehandled with Stefan handles. The experience with them....great!

Adam:

I'm looking at the riveted western handle models. At 25% off, they're not a bad buy.

Same good experience rehandling them?

Oh yeah, I've rehandled a few of those. They're not too bad....there are some tricks to rehandling the 1/2 tang knives like those.

Ok. Thanks Adam.

I just pulled the trigger on a 5.4 sun White SFGZ Funayuki Western Handle. If my girlfriend doesn't like the knife, I'll return it; if I can't, I'll sell it here. If she likes the knife, but not the handle, it'll be sent off to get rehandled.

Did someone say there is free shipping on this sale?

Yes, there is. The newsletter said, "Please select 'Pick-up' to take advantage of our free shipping."

I purchased a knife today and marked off "regulary shipping." I received a refund for the shipping separately.

Just letting you know, the SFGZ choils ARE rounded :)

Back