Cheap coarse stones recommendations (Naniwa Lobster/Traditional?)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It must have been superstones. The Naniwa Traditional series only has the 220.

And I've heard many times that the Superstone 400 should be quite good.

I've just looked at the picture I took of it, and you're absolutely right - it says 'S400' on the side, which I think is the Superstone.

Good to know that my impression chimes with that of others - I thought the 400 was very good indeed. The 1k side of it less so, but still miles better than my 3k.

I've just looked at the picture I took of it, and you're absolutely right - it says 'S400' on the side, which I think is the Superstone.

Good to know that my impression chimes with that of others - I thought the 400 was very good indeed. The 1k side of it less so, but still miles better than my 3k.
I have the Superstone 5K myself, a good stone once you've figured out how it works for you.

If I remember correctly, @stringer owns and appreciates the Superstone 2K ?!

I'm slowly getting the impression that the superstones or individual stones from the series are worth a closer look.

Unfortunately, I like the color of the 1K, but that alone shouldn't be a reason to buy.

I have the Superstone 5K myself, a good stone once you've figured out how it works for you.

I'm slowly getting the impression that the superstones or individual stones from the series are worth a closer look.

Unfortunately, I like the color of the 1K, but that alone shouldn't be a reason to buy.

Yes... rather a pretty blue colour (at least in the pic I took). It was ok, but I didn't like it as much as my Suehiro 1k, or King 1.2k.

The 400 was quite a nice green though too!

Super Stone 220 is a muddy mess. Great for getting rid of heavy, old built up patina/rust though.

Interesting the extent of the variation in a particular line. The 400 wasn't too muddy at all, and my 3k clogs as soon as a knife gets within about 5 metres of it, so no hope for any mud there at all.

Have you ever created mud on the stone with a nagura?

I've only got one of those cheap King (8k?) nagura, and it does work slightly better with that. But still clogs very quickly.

At least then I have the nagura to hand to try to clean it though!

This has been a wonderful discussion with plenty of info, thank you guys. Having sorted the thinning part, I'm still on the lookout for a nice stone for my crappy knives. I'm thinking about just going with Norton but I'm a bit confused about their coarse/medium/fine ratings. Or should I play it safe and cash out for the Naniwa 400/Shapton 320?

I would play it safe and get a stone from a reputable brand.

I don't have any experience with the Norton stones, but I have the NP400. It behaves like a ~500/600 grit stone. I use it for sharpening dull knives, not for repairs or thinning. It is almost a splash and go, it will absorb some water the first few minutes. I quite like it.

I don't have the SP/SG 320, but from what i've read they are true splash and go's and are true to grit. Will be more suitable for light repairs/thinning. Perhaps other who have it can tell you more about it.

I don't have any experience with the Norton stones, but I have the NP400. It behaves like a ~500/600 grit stone. I use it for sharpening dull knives, not for repairs or thinning. It is almost a splash and go, it will absorb some water the first few minutes. I quite like it.
I agree 100%. And I have to add that the Naniwa Professionell / Chosera is a good stone, but personally for me it is too slow for a rough stone.

The Shapton Pro 320 is primarily intended for carbon steels. It also works with stainless steels.

The Shapton Pro 220 is designed for stainless steels. And it's quick and inexpensive. My weapon of choice for crappy knives.

This has been a wonderful discussion with plenty of info, thank you guys. Having sorted the thinning part, I'm still on the lookout for a nice stone for my crappy knives. I'm thinking about just going with Norton but I'm a bit confused about their coarse/medium/fine ratings. Or should I play it safe and cash out for the Naniwa 400/Shapton 320?

The 'fine' side of my Norton probably comes up about 500 at a guess. I can get knives reasonably sharp on it. But really I usually finish around 1k at a minimum. I use the Norton combi for chip removal and resetting edges on all the billions of Globals that my family run through the dishwasher the entire time :/

The Norton India range is finer I believe.

The 'fine' side of my Norton probably comes up about 500 at a guess. I can get knives reasonably sharp on it. But really I usually finish around 1k at a minimum. I use the Norton combi for chip removal and resetting edges on all the billions of Globals that my family run through the dishwasher the entire time :/

The Norton India range is finer I believe.
I completely agree.

With crappy knives, most of the work is done with a fast, coarse stone (regardless of the manufacturer) and then finish with 1K.

Superstone 2k and 5k look a like in terms of feeling (creamy), feedback and wear. The 5k just polishes higher. I like both.

The superstone 1000 on the other hand is more like the superstone 220: very soft and dishes really fast. Easy to ruin an edge (and the stone) when your angle is slightly off. Very sensitive to pressure aswell. A little bit more then bofore and you cut into your stone and the edge is rounded.

The 2k and 5k are more forgiving to me

I'm curious, why would you get the oil out? What do you use then, soap and water?
I use my Crystolons with water and a few drops of propylene glycol. That combo seems to be compatible with whatever oil is in there. It's what I use on all of my oil stones.

Latest posts

Back