Cleaver Sharpening Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllanP

Reaction score
So I just bought a CCK 1302 slicer from their branch in Toronto

It is rough looking, but one of the thinnest grinds I've ever seen. I can't believe how light it is in the hand

anyway, the out of box edge is pretty meh, I'm just wondering if there's any special way to sharpen a cleaver vs other knives

I stumbled upon a Korin youtube video on sharpening cleavers and it tells me to switch hands to create equal bevels on both sides.
I'm kind of iffy about that because I've never done left handed sharpening before. should I just sharpen it the way I sharpen Gyutos?

Also I haven't cut anything with the knife yet, should I leave the lacquer part alone or should I remove it, which way do y'all think is better.

thanks

here's the Korin Video

[video=youtube;lWlg5dDujwM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWlg5dDujwM[/video]

There are two schools of thought here. Some change hands. Some change direction of blade. I'm a blade flipper.

Blade flipper here as well. You'll likely find out easier to sharpen your cleaver because the height makes it easier to hold the angle.

The CCK 1302 does not have much rocker. Still as with a Gyuto you have to make sure the heel and tip are in contact with the stone when putting pressure in those areas. Often heels and tips are neglected from poor technique and it shows up in the geometry of the knives over time. I also flip a cleaver just as with a knife. Looks like Vincent's technique is sound, you can try it , will get your cleaver sharp.

Allan you can get a sharp edge on it, it is a veg. cleaver so do not cut anything hard like bones or it will chip. You can thin a little behind the edge & kick in a higher final bevel on a cleaver too. The CCK's are rough, however they are good design and work well.

Sharpen it the way you are used to sharpening. No need to do anything special because it's a cleaver. Just watch your angles which in this case are quite low.
Lacquer, or no lacquer, I don't dig the lacquer and would take some steel wool or 800 wet/dry paper and remove it.
While you have the steel wool/sandpaper out, smooth out the corners of the metal like the spine, etc. Then smooth out the handle a bit with a few swipes and I think she's good to go.

Before using Vincent's method, I went through a lot of hard times sharpening cleavers. After trying his hand switching method, it made life much easier, especially if the cleaver is very heavy. I sharpen axe using his method too. Works well for me.

Nothing special. I too am a blade flipper. The tall height makes holding a constant angle much easier. The long thin blade makes sharpening oh so easy. You probably don't have to thin out the blade for the course of its life.

Back