Does every Jnat need to be sealed? And where the heck is all the cashew lacquer?!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very impressed by that marine lacquer. I so know how you feel Tanner.. my only issue besides the smell is that they are damn hard to find replacements after you use up your can like I did now

It scares me to think of how many brain cells I killed while cashew lacquering 10+ stones at a time, but what annoys me the most is there are a few specks of dust on my choseras that got lacquered,

10? Wow, wasn't it just a couple months ago you were hesitating about getting into the naturals thing? Now you can field a soccer team of them

TJ - gotta ask... Why are you sealing S&G synthetics? Are there some inherent advantages?

The magnesia bonded stones can get brittle and crack from the small amount of water that does make ingress. If it is dried without an appropriately consistent drying rate or with temperature variance it may crack. I mention it because you have a jyunpaku and they are fairly notorious for it.

Thanks for the answer Badgertooth.
Guess I better get me a can of your recommended Monocel Gold marine varnish. Cashew lacquer seems too hard to get and too fiddly (and noxious) to use. Would you also recommend sealing non S&Gs? Sorry if that's a dumb question but I have no idea of which stones are magnesia bonded.

Guess I better get me a can of your recommended Monocel Gold marine varnish. Cashew lacquer seems too hard to get and too fiddly (and noxious) to use. Would you also recommend sealing non S&Gs? Sorry if that's a dumb question but I have no idea of which stones are magnesia bonded.

Go for it. Got mine at bunnings, I imagine it will last a lifetime.

Easy as to apply. I did a coat, waited half an hour then added another coat, half an hour the a final coat. Then let dry over night and it appears to have worked a treat.

As for magnesia bonded... i can't link it but from memory Jon did a good post on this recently.

10? Wow, wasn't it just a couple months ago you were hesitating about getting into the naturals thing? Now you can field a soccer team of them
Yep, I still remember the PM I sent back earlier this year... sold some knives, bought some stones (I owe you a thanks as well as some other members for the info). I wish your sale happened earlier, maybe Santa will bring me a time machine for Xmas

TJ - gotta ask... Why are you sealing S&G synthetics? Are there some inherent advantages?
What Badgertooth said, my 5k chosera has a bad reputation apparently (the grey unused side looks splotchy under the lacquer which methinks may be binder?)

QUOTE=Marek07;457561]Would you also recommend sealing non S&Gs? Sorry if that's a dumb question but I have no idea of which stones are magnesia bonded.[/QUOTE]
I sealed the Chosera nagura which is supposed to soak for 20min apparently... It took about 10 coats as it just kept soaking in and drying instantly.

Looks like I better seal my Junpaku. The Chosera nagura sure is a thirsty little bugger, isn't it? Won't bother sealing if it takes 10 coats - got one in service and three more that are still in their packaging.

I think the Chosera line is all magnesia bonded. And my Jyunpaku 8k has spiderweb kind of cracking from <5 times usage, no long soaking, not deliberate fast or slow drying

I think the Chosera line is all magnesia bonded. And my Jyunpaku 8k has spiderweb kind of cracking from <5 times usage, no long soaking, not deliberate fast or slow drying
Thanks for the tip. All my Choseras came bonded to plastic bases so that should be OK. My Junpaku has survived 6 months of use without any visible issues. Guess I better not push my luck - will seal it as soon as the shops reopen after the summer solstice.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it's synthetic acrylic lacquer or resin lacquer.

Edit: Okay, it's a resin lacquer. Will ask him about it.

The magnesia bonded stones can get brittle and crack from the small amount of water that does make ingress. If it is dried without an appropriately consistent drying rate or with temperature variance it may crack. I mention it because you have a jyunpaku and they are fairly notorious for it.

Badger, how would I seal my Junpaku? Just the base or the sides as well. Presumably not the face? Is it the same for Jnats?

My Choseras are all munted to a base. Does that mean that I don't need to seal the sides?

Back