EGGS. simple right?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scrambled low and slow with a pat of butter, salt & pepper, and a light shake of crumbled feta at the end for the last 3-4 folds. Love the big soft curds that form with low heat.

i made a Frittata (my first) the other night for dinner. surprisingly simple. a thick wedge next to a green salad is a good meal.

I woke up my wife with a skillet of shakshuka today for San Valentine. Deeeelicious! Have to keep an eye on them as they overcook very easily with the residual heat contained in the skillet/sauce.

I leik eggs. I think my favorite at the moment are bullseye eggs

V for vendetta style with butter from the chancellors train

vendetta-hero.jpg

Nice to see 'Shakshuka' coming up twice in this thread!

Probably the best one I ever had was in the old market in Akko, made by a friend selling his vegetables.

I wonder how do you guys make Shakshuka, here in Israel there are probably 5000 versions :)

I love eggs.

I started hard cooking them recently by steaming in a basket instead of the traditional hard boil, and they take much less time, are easier to peal, and are so easy to make that I eat a hard-cooked egg every morning. I get the pot steaming, put 6 eggs in the basket, and cook them exactly 11 minutes and immediately slide them into an ice bath.

For eating, I smear a salmon spread on each cut half, sprinkle some salt and pepper, and put a drop or two of a green hot sauce. It's so good.

Poached is great.
David Chang's 5:10 egg is awesome.
Scrambled done well is a no brainer. (I also put the salmon spread on some toast and top with scrambled eggs). Japanese mayo and spicy saurkraut are also some ingredients I like adding to eggs.

Duck eggs are also awesome to do sunny side up. The yolks are so large that they are much better IMO for putting on a side of toast. Think super sizing the running yolk.

And sometimes when I want to add a little gaminess to the eggs, I will fry/cook them up with goat butter.

k.

I bought a teeny tiny little egg pan and essentially poach the egg in butter till the bottom is just set then pop under the gril till the top snot around the yoke is just set. Et voila. Hot buttery vogels thin slice toast, tonnes of butter and lots of salt and pharaon green habanero or any green hot sauce.

I give em a six and a half minute boil for topping ramen on laksa

And lastly and most controversially, I scramble them really carefully with a little milk and butter in the microwave. I fold in big soft curds as they form on the edge of the cooking bowl moving them to the middle and repeating every 15 seconds for about 3 times after the first curds form. I get moist, fluffy, creamy eggs each time.

I have no photos but I cooked an ostrich egg for colleagues. You have to drill holes at the top and bottom to blow out the egg and then you're essentially scrambling 24 chicken eggs.

Anybody got any tips for perfect poached eggs.

Otto, I like your style. Try emoto poached eggs. Non-stick pan is best. Get and inch or so water almost to a boil. Add a tablespoon or so of white vinegar. Crack the egg in a very fine mesh small strainer. Then add to water bath. Gently ladle pan water over the top of egg to set. This method removes all the watery albumin. I remove with a slotted spoon and kiss them with paper towel to mop up the cooking water. The eggs will be noticeable smaller when cooked so adjust portions accordingly.

Otto, I like your style. Try emoto poached eggs. Non-stick pan is best. Get and inch or so water almost to a boil. Add a tablespoon or so of white vinegar. Crack the egg in a very fine mesh small strainer. Then add to water bath. Gently ladle pan water over the top of egg to set. This method removes all the watery albumin. I remove with a slotted spoon and kiss them with paper towel to mop up the cooking water. The eggs will be noticeable smaller when cooked so adjust portions accordingly.

Thanks Dennis, I will certainly give this a try

I'd like some advice for adding egg to fried rice. Lately I've been heating oil in a wok, cracking an egg in there, stirring it around for a few seconds but leaving it half cooked, then shoving it off to one side as I add meat, then garlic and ginger, then veggies, then sauces and rice and a final mix. Am I on the right track or does someone have a better idea?

I'd like some advice for adding egg to fried rice. Lately I've been heating oil in a wok, cracking an egg in there, stirring it around for a few seconds but leaving it half cooked, then shoving it off to one side as I add meat, then garlic and ginger, then veggies, then sauces and rice and a final mix. Am I on the right track or does someone have a better idea?

See if any of this helps...

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/20746-Chinese-fried-rice

Tamago kake gohan for me please.

Been meaning to make shakshouka. Not sure if spelling correctly

Shaksuka is part of my regular home-cook repertoire. Give it a try, it's really easy. It's basically spaghetti sauce with different spices, and eggs instead of meat.

I've developed my own approach and almost always throw in olives and capers. (I think the saltiness helps, but others might not care for it.) I use a lot of paprika and harissa, because I generally like spicy food.

I make a large batch of sauce, and then use it to poach eggs as desired. I normally sprinkle in feta as the eggs are poaching, and then stir the melted feta in as I eat.

I generally like North African food, so I have things like Harissa and Ras El Hanout lying around. If you don't have it, I would definitely buy some Harissa, but you could replace the Ras El Hanout by just throwing some appropriate spices in while sauteing the onions.

My biggest problem is controlling the poaching. I normally cover the eggs with sauce, so you can't really see how they are doing. I turn the heat off while the whites are still a little runny, and let the hot sauce finish the job. If you end up cooking the yolk, it's not a disaster.

Shaksuka is part of my regular home-cook repertoire. Give it a try, it's really easy. It's basically spaghetti sauce with different spices, and eggs instead of meat.

I've developed my own approach and almost always throw in olives and capers. (I think the saltiness helps, but others might not care for it.) I use a lot of paprika and harissa, because I generally like spicy food.

I make a large batch of sauce, and then use it to poach eggs as desired. I normally sprinkle in feta as the eggs are poaching, and then stir the melted feta in as I eat.

I generally like North African food, so I have things like Harissa and Ras El Hanout lying around. If you don't have it, I would definitely buy some Harissa, but you could replace the Ras El Hanout by just throwing some appropriate spices in while sauteing the onions.

My biggest problem is controlling the poaching. I normally cover the eggs with sauce, so you can't really see how they are doing. I turn the heat off while the whites are still a little runny, and let the hot sauce finish the job. If you end up cooking the yolk, it's not a disaster.

This is what I'm talking about. Please share more food thoughts, seems all the good cooks on the forum stopped sharing. Pics are always welcome too

omelettes as always, I've been experimenting with sour cream as a cream + acid for scrambled eggs (ill whisky sourcream initially to incorporate the acidity as much as possible). Also tarragon = god tier of egg spice.

Back