end grain board cleaning

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndoorOutdoorCook

Reaction score
My kitchen is entirely outdoors, wok and smoker. I cook a lot of chinese, lots of garlic lots of ginger. Sometimes minced sometimes smashed. The board gets STICKY even though I use beeswax and mineral oil regularly.

What do you guys clean your cutting board with? I wipe down with a paper towel with hot water, sometimes 1% bleach, then dry. I've read other things like salt and lemon or hydrogen peroxide

I start by wiping down with a wet towel. If the board is really loaded I will dump kosher salt on it and scrub until it breaks down or the surface is clean. Repeat as necessary. If the board is still a bit grimy after scrubbing you can take a bench scraper and lightly scrap with a trailing stroke. This will remove a little wax but should leave a clean surface. I will then spray down with straight vinegar, let it sit a few minutes, and wipe down. Obviously, reapply boardwax if you scraped the surface. I use a separate board for meats so I don't bother the hydrogen peroxide.

None of this is innovative but has worked for me.

keeping separate boards for raw meats and stuff is the way to go.

Occasionally I scrub it with salt. Or I buy a huge 1.5 liter bottle of Luksusova cheap Polish potato vodka. Pour some on the board till saturated. Wipe down thoroughly with paper towels till it feels clean. Pat myself on the back and drink some. Then use Boos mystery oil. Alcohol is a fat solvent and disinfects. This hasn't dried or cracked my board yet (cherry end grain).

Back