First coarse stone...decision

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasMethod

Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased the Gesshin 2k stone with my first jknife, the 240mm Ginga gyuto, a while back. I have decided to purchase the Gesshin 6k splash and go to get a finer edge and for touch ups. I would also like to purchase a coarse stone to do some thinning on other knives that I have, and to round out my soon to be 3 stone lineup. The knives I would be thinning would be the ginga, a Kochi petty from JKI, and various crappy stainless steel knives.

I would like to keep the budget for the coarse stone at or under $50 USD. I am in the US.

I was about to go with the Gesshin 220 but wanted to ask first if that is going to be too great a jump to the Gesshin 2k? I suppose the Gesshin 400 or Bester 500 would be a little closer but the Gesshin is $75 and I haven't used a Bester stone before. I also don't know how fast these cut, my only experience is a 2k stone. I am not hung up on only JKI products but the stuff is good and the selection is limited, so other websites that have a ton of options confuse my decision a little.

Any suggestions for a ~$50 coarse stone to be used with my Gesshin 2k appreciated.

Thanks.

The Gesshin 220 is too coarse to jump to the 2000. The suggested jump from it is to a 400/500 grit stone. It's really meant for major repairs.

The Gesshin 400 is a better stone than the Beston 500, so you might want to wait a little until you can afford it. If you absolutely have to have a coarse stone right now, the Beston is a good choice.

+1 what he said. The 220 leaves a very deep scratch pattern that would take a lot of work to remove with a G2k. The G400 is an excellent stone, but I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about the Beston. Either stone should more than satisfy.

Be well,
Mikey

I have a Bester 700, and it's a great stone. Fairly hard, cuts fast, stays flat for a long time, never loads up. I would assume a Beston 500 is quite similar. A Gesshin 400 is probably nicer, but you won't go wrong with a Bester/Beston.

Peter

Thanks for the responses. I will probably go with the beston based on the feedback and price point

How much is your time and effort worth? I find that for thinning it is much more satisfying to go with a low grit stone like the 220. It gives you much faster feedback on what you are doing to the blade. You really need a 4 stone progression unless you are willing to forgo the 6K. I have the Geshin 220, Shapton Glass 500, Shapton Pro 2000 and Gesshin 6K and that works great for me.

Beston 500 is a truly amazing rough stone. You'll discover it for yourself. Except for the fact that it is a little thirsty (I have mine permanently soaked), it cuts fast, resist dishing and leaves a really fine scratch pattern on the blade road. Starting with it instead of a medium stone cuts the sharpening time in half.

How much is your time and effort worth? I find that for thinning it is much more satisfying to go with a low grit stone like the 220. It gives you much faster feedback on what you are doing to the blade.

This is a reasonable point. However, I think the OP might want to wait until s/he feels a more competent sharpener before going to that low a grit. (That's where I am--my coarsest stone is the Beston 500). For now, I'm happy cutting with the edges that I can produce, and I think that is the most important standard, for me, at this point.

It seems that many people consider sharpening mysterious and esoteric, and freehanding seems to intimidate many people. I feel like if I go slowly and carefully, I'm able to improve my edges, and hopefully not do any harm. Or, if I do mess up, I hope it's minimal and/or something that is either cosmetic or can largely be corrected in the next sharpening. I just think there's more potential to do damage, and to do it faster and therefore to a greater degree, with a very coarse stone.

Back