First Japanese knife: Lefty Yanagiba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EL8ED

Reaction score
Hello,
We started to make sushi at home more regularly, so I thought it might be time to get a proper knife to slice the fish. I am a total dilettante when it comes to food preparation, but I like to use good tools anyway.

I am left-handed and prefer the knife in question to be in stock at a US retailer, so my options are somewhat limited.

I am looking into these 2 knifes but will surely entertain any suggestions:

Suminagashi Left-Handed Yanagiba (Sashimi Knife) - 300mm

GESSHIN HIDE 300MM BLUE #1 LEFT-HANDED HON-KASUMI YANAGIBA

Any help in making a choice is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Oliver

I have only heard good things about the gesshin hide, it has my vote!

for a first yanagiba, that would not be my call (at least the gesshin hide)... i think people really dont quite get that the more money you spend, the more than will be required of you skill-wise, experience-wise, etc., and desire to do good with it and care for it well is not quite enough. Get something you can learn on... it will serve you better in the long run. You can always pick up something nicer later on, when your skill set is on part with the knife you want.

from me? gesshin uraku in white#2... from others, there should be some goo options as well

from me? gesshin uraku in white#2... from others, there should be some goo options as well

Thank you for the suggestion. Would you mind explaining what makes a gesshin uraku a better knife for a beginner than a gesshin hide?
Is it the technique it takes to use the knife properly? Sharpening skills? General care?

I am sure that point comes up frequently with new people dipping their toes into the world of Japanese knifes.

Back