First *** natural stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spadazzo88

Reaction score
Hi! I’m in for the first Japanese natural stone. On the site of Maksim there is a discount to use and I want to buy my first Japanese stone. I’m looking for a finisher in the range of my shapton pro 5k.
Is there any decent solutions without breaking the bank? Thanks for your help

https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/

In that range, without breaking the bank, those Aiiwatani koppa seem like a good beginner stone

Thanks for reply. Level 3,5 or 4? (As finisher with the 5k shapton)
Is it better wide than long? Maybe around 130x80/90

I guess 5k may be very challenging for a Jnat beginner.
I would rate a soft suita (usual choice for many beginners) to about 3k.

Last edited:
I guess 5k may be very challenging for a Jnat beginner.
I would rate a soft suita (usual choice for many beginners) to about 3k.

actually I finish on a shapton pro 5k. My razors are finished On another 4,5 jnat but is too much narrow, is for kamisoris. I’m looking for a stona that I can use as finisher instead of the shapton pro 5k

I see the Aiiwatani are rated between 3 and 4. I can’t decide

Aiiwatani to my knowledge is pretty fine, not in a 5k range. I think that you want a nice clean Suita at around lv 3 - 3.5.

Edit: if I would be looking for a stone to start on, then I would make a WTB post in the bst. You have a hood chance to get a nice stone (maybe a larger koppa) for around 200.

Aiiwatani to my knowledge is pretty fine, not in a 5k range. I think that you want a nice clean Suita at around lv 3 - 3.5.

Edit: if I would be looking for a stone to start on, then I would make a WTB post in the bst. You have a hood chance to get a nice stone (maybe a larger koppa) for around 200.

thanks for that. Yes I want a stone to replace my 5k shapton. I’m happy to stop at 5k, if aiiwatani is around 3k is not for me

Ohira Suita Aka Renge are about the best, but since they get a lot if attention, their prices exploded over the past few years unfortunately

Ohira Suita Aka Renge are about the best, but since they get a lot if attention, their prices exploded over the past few years unfortunately

Do you know what makes renge suita so desireable? is it the renge pattern(aesthetic wise)? is it a nice finish edge that people like? is it the contrast that it gives? what grit range roughly this suita approximately?

Because I'm kinda going down to JNats Rabbit Hole...

Someone of the forum has one of them for sale. 180x90x25, sealed for 220. Tomorrow I’ll receive the pics

I have an Aiiwatani Koppa 3.0. It’s very hard and fine. For a JNS finisher it’s a bargain. I wouldn’t get higher then 3.0. Mine is quite square overall, and about 30mm thick, which I prefer.

I would like to second this. There are a few, more than a few, people on this forum who sell stones at a great value and by buying from them you are removing a lot of variability and risk because they have already tested and documented how the stones work. While that does not guarantee a match for your needs it sure does help!

Wait, what do you mean with 5k? the "mirror" effect or the scratch patter?
My last stone is a 5000 grit. I’m happy with that finish. I need a jnat to replace the one I have now from shapton :)

My last stone is a 5000 grit. I’m happy with that finish. I need a jnat to replace the one I have now from shapton :)
It sounds like to want a vinyl turntable sounding like a CD player.. ;-) lol

I guess you should try a Jnat you can afford on B/S/T. Look at the stones for sell showing the effect on the blade.
But the effect of any Jnat on the blade is going to be very different from that with your Shapton.

It sounds like to want a vinyl turntable sounding like a CD player.. ;-) lol

I guess you should try a Jnat you can afford on B/S/T. Look at the stones for sell showing the effect on the blade.
But the effect of any Jnat on the blade is going to be very different from that with your Shapton.
Thanks for the tip. Just entering the world of jnat and need to understand a lot

There can be Aiiwatani tomae which are somewhat softer and are more in the 5-6k range. Not sure with JNS's current offerings, maybe would be something he would classify as lv 2.5

In general to match the bright shiny finish that some of these firmer synthetics give the edge, the similar functional grit range natural will give a more frosted look

There can be Aiiwatani tomae which are somewhat softer and are more in the 5-6k range. Not sure with JNS's current offerings, maybe would be something he would classify as lv 2.5

In general to match the bright shiny finish that some of these firmer synthetics give the edge, the similar functional grit range natural will give a more frosted look
He has some at lv 3, like some koppas around 135x95cm.
My shapton at 5k is hazy in finish e not really mirror. So a similar finish for me is enough

Back