Fresh rice noodles - a question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHiggins

Reaction score
I was watching some videos on making pad se-eew and it got me hungry. I went to the Asian grocery store and picked up these rice noodles (picture below). Problem was, when I tried to separate the sheets, they just crumbled. I had to toss the whole package. Question: does anyone know how to use these rice noodle sheets? Do I soak them first? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, gang.

Rice noodles.jpg

Need to soak in warm water first, the time varies by product. For sheets like that, couple hours I'd say?
Soak before or after separating them? I've never used these, but have used round rice wrapper sheets for Vietnamese spring rolls many times. Those always have come apart while dry without any problems.

Yep, much easier if it's the dried version. One in the pic looks like the fresh/sticky version, I usually chop them to stripes/noodles first and if it's still hard to separate- soaking in warm water for a little while helps.

Yep, much easier if it's the dried version. One in the pic looks like the fresh/sticky version, I usually chop them to stripes/noodles first and if it's still hard to separate- soaking in warm water for a little while helps.
Yeah, these were hydrated, not dried. I'll try slicing them, soaking them, then separating them. Next time.

yup. you can break the block up longitudinally but to separate the noodles, I put them in a huge bowl of warm water and work the noodles loose by hand.

Had mild success this evening.

I cut the block into four strips and soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
IMG_0479.jpeg

Probably should have gone 20 minutes as the center was still a little crumbly. Also would trim the sides because the ends are folded over meaning I had to cut those down further.

IMG_0480.jpeg

Not total success, the noodles still fell apart when I stir fried them. That happens to me with dried also unless I fry them when they are still pretty crunchy. Good news, it still tasted delicious.

IMG_0481.jpeg

Back