Fu Rin Ka Zan of JCK

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well due to some inconsistencies with the fu rin ka zan series Ive been corresponding quite a bit with koki in order to get exactly the knife I want. In 30-40 days a new batch will be arriving and from what it sounds like theyre going to be thinner than the past batches. Also, I requested a gyuto without the machi gap and some will be made for those who dislike the gap also. The grinds are 50/50 ish but if youre a lefty like me you can request the closest symetric grind knife they have also. Cant wait to get my hands on. Koki has been great to deal with also. Just wanted to pass the word along.

Hey guys, bringing another one back from the dead!
Just curious to hear what the verdict is on these after people have ahead some more time using these???
For those of you who have 'em, would you recommend them as a solid choice in this price range?
Look forward to the comments, thanks.

I bought a small petty a few months ago. My references are a Takeda gyuto, Shigefusa nakiri, Mizuno cleaver, Masamoto suji that I own (wll carbons) together with a CCK, Sbibazi and a few european knives.

In terms of sharpness it is up there with the big four. I could say that I get better edges with it than the Masamoto. Difficult to say about the rest.

In term of easiness to sharpen, it is the easiest of all. Actually touch ups, even with an Ikea ceramic rod, are a breeze. It gets shaving sharp with just two-three swipes.

Edge retention, I cannot really judge. It doesn't get that much use and I sharpen often. But definitely worse than the Mizuno, Takeda, more or less the same as the Masamoto.

Profile, grind performance. Cannot comment a lot, being a petty I am not asking a lot from it. I did ask for the thin version which is ok, probably not than thin if you are used to things like Takeda.

Fit&Finish. A little bit rough, some sloppy polishing and grind marks here and there around the edge. Nothing serious, after sharpening a few times they have disappeared.

I like a lot how it looks. Gets a wavy patina around the edge that looks nice and goes well with the whole hammered look.

I was not expecting much. My primary objective was a Mizuno cleaver at that purchase, I ordered without any research to take advantage of common shipping. But it certainly delivered more and I expected and I am happy with it. For me it was good value.

Back