Gihei in HAP40 or SLD steel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deskjockey

Reaction score
I'm watching Carbon Cut out of Denver for a Gihei 240mm Nashiji Blue Gyuto but, I'm wondering about the SLD and HAP40 options. It looks like they generally stock the SLD versions too but, I would have to go to CKTG for the HAP40 versions.

The Gihei 240mm Nashiji Blue Gyuto seems like a better "Heiji workhorse" for me but, it has been out of stock for a long time. CKTG has the 210mm version in stock so, I have considered it.

Are there any differences in the grind of the Gyuto in different steels? I'm looking for thin BTE, a little convex for food release, and some distal taper for a good balance, and enough "meat" to be a pseudo-workhorse. This will complement a Laser Gyuto, 165mm Nakiri and, a Sugimoto semi-stainless cleaver.

TIA,
Sid

I think Gihei varies quite a bit in thickness and grind in their products. I have a Gihei Hap40 santoku from cktg and it is very thin, 1.5mm spine. It has some flex to the blade. It glides through produce and has fantastic edge retention. Ideally I’d like it with some distal taper and thicker spine at the heel to eliminate flex. I think steel wise, Hap40 smokes SLD. The gihei is so thin that sharpening has been easy. I last did a full sharpening over a year ago with a wicked sharp, diamond stones, 12.5 degree per side. Since then just a few swipes every month or two on a shapton glass 4000 stone plus a 1u diamond loaded strop for edge touchup. Its used daily at home.

Back