Greetings from Helsinki, Finland :)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, been a very long time lurker here (joined back in 2012...). Recently decided to dip my toe into the handmade J-knife pool and surprised myself positively by ordering an early BD present for myself, "a light nashiji kurouchi finish" 270mm Gyuto by Toshihiro Wakui (from Cleancut). Should be here on Thursday, can't wait! :)

And yes, hence this post here, who knows what will come out of this all but I might have a question or two (or more) as I start taking that Wakui through its paces. It is complete overkill for an avid home cook like myself but what can I say, I like big knives and I cannot lie...

What else... looking to get more Wakui to replace the stuff I already have in use starting with a Petty, Nakiri, Santoku, and maybe a 240mm Gyuto too (really digging his style).

Also, I need to add some more stones to the collection. Currently rocking Suehiro (Cerax 320 & 1010, and a Rika 5000) but am interested in Morihei stones for some added splash-and-go goodness (plus other bits and bobs like the 140 & 400 Atoma diamond plates for keeping things level, etc.). Not in a hurry though as that stuff adds up fast and my disposable income is limited... but the will is there as I do like nice things such as well-made tools that improve my QoL. So I know I will acquire that stuff as time goes by.

Anyway, hopefully, I get to post some comments and maybe a review of sorts of that Wakui once it has arrived. Stay safe and stay sharp. ;)

Welcome to the forums.

There is no such thing as "complete overkill" for a home chef. Believe me, if there were, you are not even close... Ask me how I know 😁

Wakui makes some very good knives but there are many other excellent makers to sample.

Your current stone lineup will do most of what you need but if you need us to enable you to purchase new stones, we are sometimes known as Kitchenknifeenablersforums

Cheers from Espoo.
Welcome.

Wakui for me is the ultimate sweet spot for value for money, accompanied by Takamura (if you like lasers) and S. Tanaka. My Wakui can proudly hang with just about any of the big boys. Probably even shame a few of them. So not a bad place to start at all.

Tervetuloa jengiin!

Last edited:
Moikat Keski-Suomesta and welcome to the forums.

Not a bad choice and size for starters there 😊.

Thanks all for the welcomes! :) Received the gyuto yesterday and played around with it some, chopping onions and cabbage. Very, very nice, slim & thin and sharp as heck especially after I stropped the blade. But holy reactivity, I left it with onion juice on it for a minute as I scooped away the onion bits and some parts of the core steel had already turned darker. :D I do not mind it but it kind of surprised me having been used to less reactive steels.

Using the knife itself... ran it against the 240mm Mac Pro I have and it is certainly different. Having that acute edge that is sharper combined with very high hardness made me feel weird inside every time the edge contacted with the cutting board (Arcos compressed fibre board). You could hear it and feel it through the handle as a very different kind of sensation from the Mac Pro (which does not mind that cutting board at all). Seems that I need to adjust my cutting technique a bit. And get a new ASAHI cutting board (Cha-ching!). :D

Overall really super happy with the purchase, fit and finish is really good. Great attention to detail there through and through and the heat treat seems excellent.

Last edited:
Some snaps… nice patina forming there. 🥰

Attachments

• CE2FBBC8-8BF1-48F4-AAF4-F65B85BF9919.jpeg
    CE2FBBC8-8BF1-48F4-AAF4-F65B85BF9919.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 5
  • CA512CA7-D76F-40C3-B989-8A33AC03B902.jpeg
    CA512CA7-D76F-40C3-B989-8A33AC03B902.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 5
  • FEE6C0C0-3A80-4378-ACD6-A88F6DB4E22A.jpeg
    FEE6C0C0-3A80-4378-ACD6-A88F6DB4E22A.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 5
  • 86BD2131-8923-416C-97C5-364FE49BB088.jpeg
    86BD2131-8923-416C-97C5-364FE49BB088.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 5
  • BB58B594-0B18-4D23-B345-A4CB63E574E1.jpeg
    BB58B594-0B18-4D23-B345-A4CB63E574E1.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 5
Also, sorry for the slightly out-of-focus shots, working with an iPhone 7 that is nearing EOL...

That said, I actually considered pulling the trigger on another one of these just so I can have a backup for this (I might actually). Really, a pleasant, pleasant surprise that I know will get better with more use and sharpenings.

Back