Hello from California

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacbee

Reaction score
Dear knife enthusiast community,

As an active home cook I have collected a significant batterie of knives over the years including a classic Shun block set, several vintage Sabatier carbon steel chef knives, various Victorinox Fibrox knives, and even a couple of Cutco knives.

I spent last week in Tokyo for the first time and fell in love with so many things including chef knives.

I feel for the tourist temptation of bringing home a knife from a cutlery store. I splurged and picked a 300 mm yanagiba honyaki blue #1 made by someone named Minamoto Tadatsuna. It’s a beauty.

I also visited and found two more knives:

1. Gyuto 300 mm yo handle made in Japan by a company Takai Hamono.

2. Yanagiba 270 mm made by Azuma Minamoto.

I’m excited to be here to learn from you and eventually contribute value as well.

Thank you.

Welcome. What do you think of the yanagiba's and the 300mm gyuto in use?

Dear knife enthusiast community,

As an active home cook I have collected a significant batterie of knives over the years including a classic Shun block set, several vintage Sabatier carbon steel chef knives, various Victorinox Fibrox knives, and even a couple of Cutco knives.

I spent last week in Tokyo for the first time and fell in love with so many things including chef knives.

I feel for the tourist temptation of bringing home a knife from a cutlery store. I splurged and picked a 300 mm yanagiba honyaki blue #1 made by someone named Minamoto Tadatsuna. It’s a beauty.

I also visited and found two more knives:

1. Gyuto 300 mm yo handle made in Japan by a company Takai Hamono.

2. Yanagiba 270 mm made by Azuma Minamoto.

I’m excited to be here to learn from you and eventually contribute value as well.

Thank you.
Welcome, when I was in Japan years ago, I was introduced to a nakiri--which eventually helped launch my cooking/cookware/knife hobby--in that order. It seems like your Japanese knife experience may be hinting at a change in cooking interests as well--no?

Latest posts

Back