Hello from St. Louis

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanStl

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post. I have recently been getting more and more interested in kitchen knives and it's starting to get to a boiling point. I'm a civil engineer in St. Louis, and I'm the one that cooks all of the meals for my family of 7. About 15 yrs ago I got what I thought was a nice Calphalon knife set for what I thought at the time as fairly expensive at $100 for the block set. I babied these, no dishwasher and hand wash right away. Ha, thinking back now, that's funny.

About 2 months ago I decided its time for an upgrade. Not knowing better, the shopping places I went to were Crate and Barrel and W&S. I thought they had the nicest knives and something sold there would be great. I really liked the look of the Shun Premier line and stalked Ebay for good deals of used or open box. I got a 8" Kiritsuke, which I now know is a K-shaped Gyuto. It had a bent tip and slight roll towards the tip. I was super happy that the tip wasn't that bad and I was able to mostly bend back using two pennies and some pressure. All three I got were 1/3 of the current reatial prices.

Then I got an open box Shun Premier 4" parer and 9" bread knife. All three I got were 1/3 of the current retail prices.

Using the Shun K-Gyuto and researching I realized my technique is horrible, so I'm working on that. I almost torqued the blade too much and now know to be careful. I've also cut mysef a few times where I never did with my Calphalons.

Within a few weeks of purchasing my Shuns, I am now obsessing over custom or traditional J-knives. Do I get a Wat or TF something from a small maker or hobbyist, is what I'm asking myself. I'm trying to keep myselft in check, but man there are a lot of nice knives.

Sorry for the essay and cheers!

Ryan

Welcome to the forum. You'll get a lot of answers here. But you can better ask your questions if you fill out the "Which Knife" questionnaire. Then you'll get answers that are (mostly) tailored to your requrements.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/the-which-knife-should-i-buy-questionnaire-v2.12791/

Thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking enough to know about the questioner. It's a great idea by the way! What I wrote above are conflicts in my head because I really don't need another knife right now. I don't have a gyuto over 8" though or a 6" petty, so maybe I do. Ha. ;)

I forgot to mention I also just got a Wok Shop #3 cleaver that I hope works great on butternut, acorn, and spaghetti squash we eat a lot of those. Never knew I needed something like that, but I read enough to know using the Shun on those is a no, no.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back