Help choosing 210mm gyuto with a little weight, but thin edge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Kochi kurouchi at JKI would be perfect, but who knows when they'll be in. Keep that reference in mind for recommendations!

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Wa handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Let's say $225

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
All-around usage. mostly veges. Something with a little weight to quickly hammer out paper thin onion slices and such.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
None

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Mostly push cut

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Wide bevel kurouchi, hammered, something interesting would be ideal. Something thicker at the spine that tapers to thin edge.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Something with a little heft. Handle doesn't matter. Rustic is fine.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Don't want much wedging. Food release, not a show stopper. Average reactivity.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Not critical, it's home use

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

End grain walnut

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Don't think I'll necessarily need to, but why not.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Keep in mind the Kochi would be ideal, so in that ballpark *sniff* Complimenting a 210mm Gesshin Ginga white #2, 210mm Tanaka damascus blue #2. I'm a little intrigued by Anryu's hammered and also kurouchi gyutos.

Might not fit but yu kurosaki makes knives and stones new knife sub 200 usd kurochi finish. Its a thicker knife and tapers hé makes masakage shimo knives. Ive been trying to decide between that and his r2 line for a while. It also has a hammered pattern with should help with stickage/food release. I havent bought it yet because im horrible with difficult choices. His shimo knives are awesome for what its worth.

Those look interesting, thanks. The profile looks flatter than the Zakuri, which is a plus. Should have mentioned a flattish profile like the Kochi is preferrable.

A little bit different but Itinomonn? Pretty great and cheap knives, V2 steel like the kochi's as well.

Been looking for something along the same lines myself. 210mm Gyuto, Wa handle, slightly blade heavy with the balance point around the pinch grip. I seem to prefer light to middleweight blades. It has to be thin behind the edge with a slight convex grind higher up to aid food release with a thin tip for detail work. I'd be using it in the home so don't need a 'workhorse'. After owning carbon Sabs which patinered horribly I've decided the next knife has to have SS cladding but I don't have any problems with a reactive core.

The knives I've shortlisted are the Anryu B#2, Richmond AS laser, Kurosaki AS and Fujiwara Nashiji W#1. I really want either the Konosuke Fuji or the more expensive Gessin Kagekiyo, but the reactive soft iron cladding takes these out of the running.

I've handled the Richmond AS laser and it felt good in the hand. My example was a little rough along the spine and choil but no more so than other knives in the $200 price range. I did feel the knife, although well presented and probably a great performer, seemed a little utilitarian. The Kurosaki AS looks almost identical and I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the Richmond AS laser.

I haven't used any of the other knives on the list and am moving away from the Anryu which is reported as being a workhorse and a little thick towards the tip. Based on some glowing reviews I'm leaning towards the Fujiwara Terayasu Nishiji. If I like it I'd get a custom handle for it. The high HRC isn't a concern since I'm not rough on my knives and it seems to have some of the handmade traits to make it special. I anticipate having to smooth out a few rough edges.

Would love to hear some other options that may not be immediately obvious from the big on-line sources. Do Konosuke make a carbon core (preferably W#1, B#2 or AS) with SS cladding?

I really want either the Konosuke Fuji or the more expensive Gessin Kagekiyo, but the reactive soft iron cladding takes these out of the running.

The Gesshin Kagekiyo is available in a ginsanko version. You won't even notice that the core isn't carbon, unless you value a patina on the edge over performance.

Welcome to the forum Corrodo. Although your query is related to that of the OP, please start a thread of your own so that replies can be made to you directly. If you fill out the questionnaire at the top of the kitchen knife forum then replies will be tailored to your requirements.

Thanks.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Going to go with a Zakuri from Jon. He's going to give it some extra lovin'. Yet another amazing experience with JKI, and at this point, I've lost count.

Back