Help Me Buy My First Knife V2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Richmond for me then 😉
I've been digging around and trying to find some reviews of the Tanaka B#2, Ikeda AS 210, and even some for the Shimo(can't get over those gorgeous aesthetics). I'm really having a difficult time deciding haha. Tanaka seems to be a fan favorite around here (for lack of a better term) and that can't be without reason. That being said, the Ikeda gets a lot of love too. Heck, I've seen people go nuts over the shimo (not so much on here). I truly feel a little too inexperienced to make a great decision. I may have to just go with my gut and pull the trigger on one. If it's not my favorite, so what. I'll learn what I like/don't and keep collecting. Realistically, I'm not that experienced so any of them would probably blow me away.

No Richmond for me then 😉
I've been digging around and trying to find some reviews of the Tanaka B#2, Ikeda AS 210, and even some for the Shimo(can't get over those gorgeous aesthetics). I'm really having a difficult time deciding haha. Tanaka seems to be a fan favorite around here (for lack of a better term) and that can't be without reason. That being said, the Ikeda gets a lot of love too. Heck, I've seen people go nuts over the shimo (not so much on here). I truly feel a little too inexperienced to make a great decision. I may have to just go with my gut and pull the trigger on one. If it's not my favorite, so what. I'll learn what I like/don't and keep collecting. Realistically, I'm not that experienced so any of them would probably blow me away.

I think you have the right idea, go with your gut. Any of those knives should resell without issue if you decide they are not your cup of tea and then you can try something else. Or maybe you fall in love with what you buy and never look back. Or...maybe you end up with 36 million knives like the rest of us.

I think I've decided to go with the Tanaka b#2 Damascus. I think the shimo is absolutely stunning(Tanaka is gorgeous as well) but I don't want to deal with reactivity on that level for my first carbon. I'm pretty darn sure I'll buy it at some point though. 😂 for now, the tanaka will be the next buy. Maybe jki will do a black Friday or cyber Monday sale and I'll get lucky on it.

One thought on Damascus, particularly with the Tanaka's. I have the R2, which I love the performance of, however I don't like the Damascus cladding. I'm right handed and tend to lean the blade up against the knuckles on my left hand, using them as a guide to the depth of cut I am making. The Damascus cladding on the R2 is rather abrasive on my knuckles and I find it annoying when i am plowing through a lot of produce. The B2 may be completely different beast, but I would drop by a Sur la tab and play with some of the Damascus knifes they have in stock just to get a sense if it will bother you or not. For my part, as much as I love the aesthetics, I will never buy another Damascus blade.

One thought on Damascus, particularly with the Tanaka's. I have the R2, which I love the performance of, however I don't like the Damascus cladding. I'm right handed and tend to lean the blade up against the knuckles on my left hand, using them as a guide to the depth of cut I am making. The Damascus cladding on the R2 is rather abrasive on my knuckles and I find it annoying when i am plowing through a lot of produce. The B2 may be completely different beast, but I would drop by a Sur la tab and play with some of the Damascus knifes they have in stock just to get a sense if it will bother you or not. For my part, as much as I love the aesthetics, I will never buy another Damascus blade.

Don't really have that luxury :/ Closest Sur La Table is 5 hours away. Thanks for the heads up though. I didn't really think about that.

The cladding on my b2 is smooth.
The cladding on my R2 is ever so slightly rough, but I didn't notice it until just now.

You have the 210mm Gesshin stainless. Your next knife could be San Mai with stainless cladding and carbon core. You get to experience the joy of sharpening carbon without the extra care a full carbon blade. If you want a thin laser the JKI Ikazuchi stainless clad aogami super blue steel core is worth a look. It is the thinnest clad knife I have seen. No hard stuff like lobster shells or any type of bone. I have peeled quite a few pineapples with mine, and big carrots for stew. It flies through fruit, vegetables & meat with out bone. Plus it comes with a wooden saya.

I really like the stainless Kochi series also from JKI

The Tanaka's are popular because they have a tall grind making them easy to sharpen and fairly thin behind the edge where it counts. Taller at the heel overall good geometry.

Just saw a Tanaka Ginsan lite 240mm for $175 for black Friday. Would you guys grab it or just go for the b#2 for $192?

I have both and that's a tough decision since Tanakas B2 is a REALLY nice steel. Sublime on the stones, takes an edge in no time and what an edge it is too!

But, Yeah I'd go for the ginsan. It's the same knife, grind, profile and all, except the core steel. AND luckily Tanakas ginsan is super nice too. Best SS you'll come across and you have the convenience of low maintenance. For SS it's very lovely on the stones, takes a very keen edge, has better edge retention than the B2 with some margin.

Back