Help with choice of Nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look like they've been dragged behind a truck on a long gravel road!

No, I've neither seen nor owned one.

WTFWTF.......

i’m actually interested in opinions on Denka Nakiris. They are not discussed much. Gyutos get all the discussion.

First a pic …

2CFD18A6-E530-42B1-B840-7C5D1E61E11A.jpeg

As part of my TF Chronicles I purchased and used two TF nakiri’s as shown in the picture above. They are a 165mm Denka and a 195 Maboroshi which I had tuned by Ryan Swanson at District Cutlery. The reason I suspect you don’t read much about TF Nakiri’s is because fewer people seek and use Nakiri’s relative to gyutos … and the TF Denka nakiri is one of the more expensive Nakiri’s that you can buy. The 195 Maboroshi is a monster. Here are pics of each on my scale …

6C686A2F-226C-4F01-9460-CF49E1788E59.jpeg

8326E3A2-1E17-4132-94ED-15A4F28E2BB4.jpeg

And two pics of the Nakiri’s in action …

22ABDF13-516D-4BD3-A623-16C641D812F0.jpeg

4CB1E51B-F38F-4789-9128-A987BF0F3053.jpeg

Bottom line … the 165mm TF Denka Nakiri is, with one qualification, the best nakiri I’ve owned and used … which is several. I like Nakiri’s and use them in most vege prep. What’s the qualification? … Stiction, as shown in the potato test. The starchy potatoes cling’d tenaciously to the blade and required the use of a “finger flick” to free them from the blade. For everything else the 165 Denka was a pure joy in hand. The AS steel core arrived scary sharp in the box and I suspect would stay that way for a prolonged period of time due to the outstanding heat treatment offered by TF in the Denka line. Great balance in hand (IMO) and takes up just the right amount of real estate on a small (ish) cutting board. If you can afford it, it’s the Nakiri to have.

The 195mm Maboroshi takes the award for the most fun knife in my kitchen. My cleavers cower in the crevices and corners of my kitchen when I take it out. Though I haven’t had the courage to unleash my inner animal with the 195 I’m sure it’s capable of shearing a sizeable squash in one decisive wack! … yet thanks in part to Ryan, was sharp enough to easily score the tough pork belly skin in the pic above. Why … check out this “top view” pic of both TF Nakiri’s.

54952025-57E5-4A59-8DE4-D8A797DE264F.jpeg

Clearly the 195 TF demands a “materials surcharge” when pricing.

In the interests of “full disclosure” I have to admit that I sold my 165 Denka nakiri. Why would I do that when I rate it so highly. Two reasons … first I acquired 12 TF’s as part of my TF chronicles. Nobody needs 12 TF’s in their kitchen and I was offered a good price for it. Second … I have other nakiri’s that I love. Top of that list is a 165 Nakiri by William Catcheside that is a pure joy to use. His “forged geometry” just works! Don’t know why … but it just does. I have a more or less unique mini cleaver/tall nakiri from Bjorn Birgerrson that’s very sweet and of course my 195mm TF mega monster.

But if I could only have one nakiri … it would be the 165mm TF Denka.

My fretting and searching is at an end. I just sent payment to Watanabe Blade and my pro nakiri is coming. When? I haven't a clue other than that it will take some time. I don't have the slightest problem with waiting now--other than eager anticipation. My greatest thanks to all of you who shared your expertise with me.
I ordered the 180 pro Nakiri on 4/22. lol, Shinichi’s email also said 10 week wait. He shipped DHL and I got the knife today 5/6. Midwest USA. DHL gave me a 5/11 delivery date. So not a bad wait at all.

Last edited:
My Toyama 180mm Nakiri arrived today. 5 days from Denmark (JNS) - I'm amazed.

It's incredible... 188 g's, 60mm tall at the heel. Goes through produce like a laser, but has a nice amount of heft for root veggies. I think I'm in love :)

0-1.jpg

In comparison with my Sakai Kikumori 165mm:

0.jpg

Last edited:
First a pic …

View attachment 178120

As part of my TF Chronicles I purchased and used two TF nakiri’s as shown in the picture above. They are a 165mm Denka and a 195 Maboroshi which I had tuned by Ryan Swanson at District Cutlery. The reason I suspect you don’t read much about TF Nakiri’s is because fewer people seek and use Nakiri’s relative to gyutos … and the TF Denka nakiri is one of the more expensive Nakiri’s that you can buy. The 195 Maboroshi is a monster. Here are pics of each on my scale …

View attachment 178119

View attachment 178121

And two pics of the Nakiri’s in action …

View attachment 178122

View attachment 178123

Bottom line … the 165mm TF Denka Nakiri is, with one qualification, the best nakiri I’ve owned and used … which is several. I like Nakiri’s and use them in most vege prep. What’s the qualification? … Stiction, as shown in the potato test. The starchy potatoes cling’d tenaciously to the blade and required the use of a “finger flick” to free them from the blade. For everything else the 165 Denka was a pure joy in hand. The AS steel core arrived scary sharp in the box and I suspect would stay that way for a prolonged period of time due to the outstanding heat treatment offered by TF in the Denka line. Great balance in hand (IMO) and takes up just the right amount of real estate on a small (ish) cutting board. If you can afford it, it’s the Nakiri to have.

The 195mm Maboroshi takes the award for the most fun knife in my kitchen. My cleavers cower in the crevices and corners of my kitchen when I take it out. Though I haven’t had the courage to unleash my inner animal with the 195 I’m sure it’s capable of shearing a sizeable squash in one decisive wack! … yet thanks in part to Ryan, was sharp enough to easily score the tough pork belly skin in the pic above. Why … check out this “top view” pic of both TF Nakiri’s.

View attachment 178124

Clearly the 195 TF demands a “materials surcharge” when pricing.

In the interests of “full disclosure” I have to admit that I sold my 165 Denka nakiri. Why would I do that when I rate it so highly. Two reasons … first I acquired 12 TF’s as part of my TF chronicles. Nobody needs 12 TF’s in their kitchen and I was offered a good price for it. Second … I have other nakiri’s that I love. Top of that list is a 165 Nakiri by William Catcheside that is a pure joy to use. His “forged geometry” just works! Don’t know why … but it just does. I have a more or less unique mini cleaver/tall nakiri from Bjorn Birgerrson that’s very sweet and of course my 195mm TF mega monster.

But if I could only have one nakiri … it would be the 165mm TF Denka.

Now I'm tempted to try a Denka Nakiri 😂 I'm still waiting for them to see if they can do a custom mega-kiri though...

As a comparison, earlier this month I ordered a Pro Gyuto. Submitted the website form and had a response three business days later (five total days, there was a weekend in there). Ten days seems like the timeframe to start worrying according to Shinichi. His email signature says:

"Sorry for delay.
We receive so many orders every day.
I make and e-mail almost alone. Please wait about 10 days for my next
response.
I hope you don’t send another e-mails. Sorry for the inconvenience. "
Lol…same response to me after my second… follow up e mail to him. 😂

@M1k3 bruhhhh I still have my WTB post going
never owned one so can't comment

paging @toddnmd?
I recently picked up a Denka nakiri. It's big. Haven't used it much yet, but it's been fun when I have. I'll concur with Brian Weekley who said it handles more like nakiri than cleaver.
I will also point out that the 195 Mabs were consistently heavier than the Denkas. In the 330s for Maboroshi, just over 300 for the Denkas. I found the Denka a bit more comfortable and Iiked the balance being a little farther back toward the handle.

Back