Hi from Baton Rouge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danceinbr

Reaction score
Hello. Been reading and studying and buying a few Japanese kitchen knives for a year or so, definitely find this the most helpful site on the subject.

In particular I appreciate the fantastic information shared by the professionals and semi-professionals regarding everything from sharpening to making handles. I have been a pretty competent carpenter/craftsman all my life and have been setting up a little extra equipment to try my hand at making handles. If it works out, I will re-handle everything in my small collection - just because I think I can and will enjoy the challenge in proving that.

Finally signed up because the BST pages disappeared with the new forum software.

Thanks again to all of you that are sharing your knowledge.

Tim

Welcome! You are for sure in the right place! What equipment do you use(plan on using) to make the handles?
Well, I already had just about every time of hand-held portable tool you could possibly have for woodworking, general homebuilding, setting tile, etc., a commercial cabinet saw, miter saws, compressor and all that. Never been much on welding and steel fabrication, so not much of that equipment.

I am in a newish house I spent 3 years building, so just setting up a little spot in the garage with a heavy workbench with a nice (restored) vise, rebuilding an old USA-made Powermatic drill press, and bought an Ameribrade 2x72 belt grinder. No illusions that I needed the last couple to build a few handles, but heh, always looking for an excuse to buy something I've always wanted. I also have a lot of old woodworking tools - axes, planes, chisels, etc. - that need restoring and tuning up, so I'm hoping I'll find lots of uses for the belt grinder.

Well, I already had just about every time of hand-held portable tool you could possibly have for woodworking, general homebuilding, setting tile, etc., a commercial cabinet saw, miter saws, compressor and all that. Never been much on welding and steel fabrication, so not much of that equipment.

I am in a newish house I spent 3 years building, so just setting up a little spot in the garage with a heavy workbench with a nice (restored) vise, rebuilding an old USA-made Powermatic drill press, and bought an Ameribrade 2x72 belt grinder. No illusions that I needed the last couple to build a few handles, but heh, always looking for an excuse to buy something I've always wanted. I also have a lot of old woodworking tools - axes, planes, chisels, etc. - that need restoring and tuning up, so I'm hoping I'll find lots of uses for the belt grinder.

That’s awesome! That’s my goal too (to make personal handles), but I am pretty far away from that right now. If you do end up making them, post some progress pictures!

Back