Hide & seek

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a young man Koichi Tohei (brought Aikido to Hawaii) threw me back on a mat by just touching my chin with no physical pressure felt.

Used Ki to calm myself down esp. first 15 minutes at work with 4 or 5 banquets to put out. Helped me organize without any emotion attached.

Would agree that blades that cut really well can cause a mental shift. I had used Forschners at work before got my first thin carbon Japan blade. It was like going from a beat up old Chevy to a Lotus Elise.

Pls stop posting unless you have something positive to say about hide knives, you have had your laugh and you have taken it to far with the juju thing.
With regards to the soul thing i was asking if anyone had felt that in their experience...like the makers speak about their knives .Dead knives where factory made and not handmade that's what i was reffering to.
Come on you must of had a knife that you did not connect with and ended up selling it why to heavy, geometry,profile was not right,your knife is what you put in to it a connection between you and the maker simple... so stop freaking out and give us some positive feedback.

I have a 270 Gesshin Hide Yanagiba and love it, but it's not my favorite knife. I've handled a number of handmade knives; they can feel dead too - VERY dead - much more than one of my favorite knives, which isn't what you would consider a "handmade" knife; it's a somewhat large production knife.

You feel a connection with a knife depending on how it feels when you cut, not because of a knife's "soul." Yet, very little of what you wrote has anything to really do with cutting or cooking, or making food, so I don't understand your mysticism about Japanese knives. They're not to be used as weapons. They're for making food.

P.S. - You should also get facts straight. Konosuke isn't a maker; it's a brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying not to be confrontative in any way. Although I tend to be a little sceptic and value rationality, I also think it is obvious that certain pieces of art and certain crafts has that ineffable quality which was once referred to as a ‘je ne sais quoi’ – meaning something I just can’t put my finger on. Sometimes an artwork or a craft is clearly superior, but I can’t say why, and thus they transcend the bounds of purely empirical sense. This is not something ‘spiritual’ which is unaccessible to the normal (Western) mind, but a quality which we don’t know how to quantify – and quite possibly may never be able to quantify. Why is it that a brushstroke by Picasso is clearly identifiably as a brushstroke by Picasso? I don’t know, but it is!

I have a 270 Gesshin Hide Yanagiba and love it, but it's not my favorite knife. I've handled a number of handmade knives; they can feel dead too - VERY dead - much more than one of my favorite knives, which isn't what you would consider a "handmade" knife; it's a somewhat large production knife.

You feel a connection with a knife depending on how it feels when you cut, not because of a knife's "soul." Yet, very little of what you wrote has anything to really do with cutting or cooking, or making food, so I don't understand your mysticism about Japanese knives. They're not to be used as weapons. They're for making food.

P.S. - You should also get facts straight. Konosuke isn't a maker; it's a brand.

Oh no.... have you gone off on one again, i bloody no konosuke is a brand...one Master makes blue another makes White and So on,all i said about konosuke is that it's a damn good looking knife So what the hell are you on about.

Oh no.... have you gone off on one again, i bloody no konosuke is a brand...one Master makes blue another makes White and So on,all i said about konosuke is that it's a damn good looking knife So what the hell are you on about.
Perhaps you need to attend some kind of anger management class… Frankly cool down and chill out... You are not being very constructive

I am calm very calm just fed up that some individuals are not processing things that i've written thats all.
I apologize.

Geez everybody.
Really?
Sometimes I think my 7 and 4 year old kids argue less and about more important things.

Mizuno is also a brand. Of the three knives you identified, only one is not a brand - Haburn.

For being so concerned with the maker, why don't you ask more about certain makers?

Geez everybody.
Really?
Sometimes I think my 7 and 4 year old kids argue less and about more important things.

You are absolutley right it should not have gone this far.

Then why don't you focus on the makers, not the brands? Mizuno is also a brand.

O.k....you can tell me their names and i will focus on them , i will wait for your reply.

Geez everybody.
Really?
Sorry, you're right. It is only knives after all, not some kind of deadly weapon :lol2:

Mizuno is also a brand. Of the three knives you identified, only one is not a brand - Haburn.

For being so concerned with the maker, why don't you ask more about certain makers?
If you want to be picky, Haburn is also a brand...the maker is Ian Rogers.

O.k....you can tell me their names and i will focus on them , i will wait for your reply.

As I previously wrote, I don't focus on what maker made my knife, as long as it performs in a manner that I like. I like a few mass-produced knives as well.

But since you really care, I'll tell you the makers of some knives I own:

Hide - Hideaki and Shinichiro Yamamoto
Nakaya Heiji - Osamu Takeishi
Shigefusa - Tokifusa Iizuka
Ashi Hamono - Ashi-san (I don't recall his first name, but I've met him)
Murray Carter

Other makers that I know of: Keijiro Doi and his son, Itsuo Doi.

I also own and have owned various other Japanese knives, including brand knives: Masamoto Sohonten, Masamoto Tsukiji, Suisin, Hiromoto, Kagekiyo, Gengetsu, etc., but I didn't buy any of them because of who made them. I buy knives to find ones that perform exceptionally well. That's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please indulge me in recapping this thread.

Slash asks non specific question about specific maker. Was asked what specifically he would like to know. (Slash - Please note the spelling of "know".) He responded with specific question which was in turn answered.

In the course of the initial exchange Slash went Phil Donahue about knives and their feelings, dead knives and alive knives and the burdens of becoming a knife whisperer. For some reason it went to crap after that.

Though some have tried to be helpful, the only thing good to come out of the ensuing 4 pages is we now know what Ian's middle name is. No one likes to moderate a thread but this one needs to be taken forward or taken off the "what's new" page.

Thanks.

I would love to hear some thoughts on the grinds Hide has on their gyutos. The choil shot looks nice, and they seem to be thin behind the edge. Do they cut similar to something else out there (a point of reference would help me greatly).

Please indulge me in recapping this thread.

Slash asks non specific question about specific maker. Was asked what specifically he would like to know. (Slash - Please note the spelling of "know".) He responded with specific question which was in turn answered.

In the course of the initial exchange Slash went Phil Donahue about knives and their feelings, dead knives and alive knives and the burdens of becoming a knife whisperer. For some reason it went to crap after that.

Though some have tried to be helpful, the only thing good to come out of the ensuing 4 pages is we now know what Ian's middle name is. No one likes to moderate a thread but this one needs to be taken forward or taken off the "what's new" page.

Thanks.

O.k you should take it off and while your at it you can tell dave martell ,or whoever is in charge to take me off the forum also .

O.k you should take it off and while your at it you can tell dave martell ,or whoever is in charge to take me off the forum also .

Really, it's not worth taking that seriously. If everyone could just calm down a bit, we might realize it's just a conversation with opinions at the end if the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back