Hinoura as

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it is a tsukasa line, I congratulates you ^^

it's not tsukasa, it's his son mutsumi IIRC. looks to me like all the function but none of the embellishment associated with tsukasa's pattern welded insanity.

I also have a Mutsumi Hinoura gyuto. A 210mm white #2 clad in stainless kurouchi. It's a fantastic knife.

I have heard that the 240mm is quite thicker than the very thin 210mm. It should also have more of a belly curve while the 210mm is very flat.

Like knives with a bit of belly and thick. Feel and fit perfect for me.
To be honest I had no clue abut hinoura son 😃,that explains the lower price if you compare it with the fathers one.
Now I just need to found for it a good handle.

Funny that you mention it, I also dislike the stock handle that's on mine. It's chipping at the ferrule, so I'm gonna try to make my first homemade octagon handle and put it on my Hinoura.

So far I've only glued a piece of bankirai and a piece of smoked oak together. Gonna try to cut it into shape this weekend.

Got the knife yesterday and it's nice.
Put on a wa handle I had at home but I am looking forward to buy a nice cherry wood handle with buffalo ferrule for it.!
I compared it with my wakui and they are quite similar. The wakui as less belly and a flatter profile.
The hinoura is a bit more pointy and few mm larger on the cutting edge.
Happy with it

Can we have a few photographs?

I just split the handle on mine so I could adjust drilling size and depth.

2b8252b0094a99caacdd.png

Can we have a few photographs?

I just split the handle on mine so I could adjust drilling size and depth.

2b8252b0094a99caacdd.png

Damage, did you try to just pop it off? It appears as though it had been burned in...

Damage, did you try to just pop it off? It appears as though it had been burned in...

Yes, I tried to pop it off. It was burned and then glued with a ton of epoxy (which you can't really see in the photo, but it's there). No way I would have been able to just tap it off with a hammer like usual.

now if only takeda could figure out that is how far up you should grind off the KU

Preizzo I would really appreciate a proper choil shot if you dont mind. This line has been on my radar for some time now, I havent bought one sooner because I wasnt sure about grind, weight and height.

is the tamashii engraving a new thing?

My Hinoura was purchased from that site of which we do not speak about (sorry Jon, didn't know about your site at that point in time). According to the text on the storefront, since these knives were made with a stainless kurouchi cladding instead of a reactive one, Mutsumi Hinoura dubbed them Tamashii.

I'm probably wrong but that is what I could gather when purchasing it.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I just got done putting the my first homemade handle on my Hinoura. I'm pretty satisfied with it for a first-time handle. Ferrule is Danish Oak and the rest is African Bangkirai.

How are finding the knife, preizzo?

8b8bf2b1337c0850ecfd.png

My Hinoura was purchased from that site of which we do not speak about (sorry Jon, didn't know about your site at that point in time). According to the text on the storefront, since these knives were made with a stainless kurouchi cladding instead of a reactive one, Mutsumi Hinoura dubbed them Tamashii.

I'm probably wrong but that is what I could gather when purchasing it.

No reason to be sorry... i know i'm not the only game in town and i promise my feelings arent hurt :)

I always thought the tamashii engraving was a konosuke thing, as it has been in the past.

hi!

I also got one of those form cleancut

and i really like this knife.. well after Rehandling and it will get a new grind
but feels very solid and the shape is straight like a Kenyo

it was out of the box the dullest knife i have ever had(i got 38 Knifes ;) )

http://imgur.com/a/d28DD

and here without Handle
http://imgur.com/a/6Joc8

i put a nice octagonal bigger and lighter Handle from my shirou Kamo Kenyo on this one and the old handle on the Kenyo..
Best regards Daniel

Latest posts

Back