Honyaki Fork?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw all three as well, I've heard of at least one other person mention the idea before but I won't say who (they can mention if they want). To be honest I thought this was it, but Cris cleared that up the YT comments

So darn cool and super sexy (yeah- I just called a fork sexy!).

I would have assumed a fork gets hardened, so making one with a hamon seems like a logical move. I would question that however you go about it, shouldn't one of the goals be to create a fork that isnt as hard as your carving knife. If two pieces of metal are rubbing together one will yield to the other. No?

Yes, it is sexy! Reason for the thread was that I am interested in one and looking for other offering from other makers.

jessf: to my understanding, hardness is a factor of temper, not a hamon, and unless you are rubbing it edge on, it will not matter.

Yes i am aware but that wasnt my comment.

Yes, it is sexy! Reason for the thread was that I am interested in one and looking for other offering from other makers.

jessf: to my understanding, hardness is a factor of temper, not a hamon, and unless you are rubbing it edge on, it will not matter.

Your comment implied that this was harder than a knife, or seemed so to me. Sorry if I read wrong. I saw elsewhere Cris said it was something like 62HRC vs his standard 64-65HRC honyaki hardness, so I do not think it is an issue.

I was contemplating what attributes a fork should have. I hadn't really thought about it until seeing one with an obvious hamon. I would think you'd want a softer fork is all I'm saying. So regardless of how you go about heat treating the fork, be it fully quenched or clay quenched, the final hardness is what matters, and that hardness should be less than the knife. Even if you don't rub the edge against it, a fork can still leave scratch marks all over if it's harder than the knife. So, if I see a fork with a hamon I know it's hardened and my next question would be, what's the HRC? You could temper the fork tongs all the way down to 50HRC, depending on the steel.

Your comment implied that this was harder than a knife, or seemed so to me. Sorry if I read wrong. I saw elsewhere Cris said it was something like 62HRC vs his standard 64-65HRC honyaki hardness, so I do not think it is an issue.

That is a valid observation. In this case, the fork is part of a fork/knives set for a customer of Cris. His knives are 64-65hrc and fork around 62hrc. The hardness was chosen to go with said knives.

Anyway, it is an original, unique piece, that represents the creative spirits of Mr.Anderson

Since he got inspired to do it like that, bravo to him that he did It [emoji4]

Latest posts

Back