How often to Deburr when sharpening ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny13

Reaction score
If i am doing a full session on a knife would i want to deburr after each stone? Are there factors to determine the amount of times to deburr ? I know thats a basic question, just wanted a confirmation. Thanks so much !

You can just continue your profession and the burr will become small and smaller. Then you can deburr on felt, cork or whatever you choose.

You can just continue your profession and the burr will become small and smaller. Then you can deburr on felt, cork or whatever you choose.

Ok. Thanks !! so essentially if i start a progression at lets say 500 and continue to 1000, 2000, 5000 I am waiting until after the 5000 to deburr ?

I deburr on every stone, and use a cork after every stone. Sometimes I put a newspaper on the last stone and deburr on that.

With each stone i start with a relatively heavy pressure and after the burr is formed, start using less and less pressure until i can flip the burr with just one stroke. By that time, the burr is much smaller and i can go to the next stone and repeat the process.

Jon at JKI has some good info on deburring: [video=youtube;XnhIKOX6Rco]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnhIKOX6Rco[/video]

Yesterday I accidentaly raised a mean burr on atoma 140, and then I "deburred" it into my finger. Dont do that haha 😂

You shouldn't be trying to raise a fresh burr on each stone (this appears to be a common mistake that can lead to a rolled edge on high grit stones). Try to reduce the burr as much as possible on the stone you first raised it with by using progressively less pressure and a combo of Jon's side-swipe trick and cork or felt. When you move to the next stone, you should only need light pressure (plus the side-swipe and cork/felt) to further reduce the burr and/or de-burr completely. Using this approach, I have found that I get good consistency and a nice clean edge :)

Back