Howdy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kailex

Reaction score
I'm a pro cook from Texas. I'm working in a restaurant that has way less staff, structure, and business than my previous job. I used to be a manager and trainer for both front of house and back of house stuff and had to deal with money and orders and whatnot. Nowadays I just come into work, set up my station, and basically do whatever the hell I want. I fight off the boredom by cutting stuff. I use a Konosuke HD2 240mm gyuto for everything. I'm here to get recommendations on new knives to try. There's really nothing wrong with my knife but I guess I'm a little addicted to looking at information about knives. Just for fun, here's the questionnaire, since I'm not allowed to post on the other forum yet.

KNIFE TYPE

I'm looking for a k-tip or sabatier style gyuto that's 240mm+.

I'm left-handed.

I prefer octagonal wa handles. Western handles are alright too. Buffalo horn is a deal-breaker for me. I also dislike right-handed d-shaped handles.

I religiously wipe off my knives after using them, but still would prefer a powdered stainless or semi-stainless for piece of mind.

$400 is where I'd start drawing the line for how much I'm willing to spend.

KNIFE USE

This knife is going to be used in a pro environment as well as at home.

The knife will only be used on produce. Slicing, dicing, mincing, decorative work.

I currently use a Konosuke HD2 240mm gyuto

I'm comfortable with a pinch grip and a finger point grip.

I use push-cuts, which often have to be guillotine and glide cuts with my Konosuke. Second would be pull cuts/slicing. Last would be rocking just to mix it up. I never chop.

Aesthetically I think my knife is perfect. I like the plain finish, rounded spine/choil, and the one-piece khii laurel octagonal handle. I don't really want damascus or kurouchi or anything really showy. I could go for a louder handle if I had to.

I don't think I'd want the stain resistance on a new knife to be too much lower than my current one. I've used AS and Blue #2 knives before and never ran into any rust issues, but I'm a bit OCD and don't really want a reason to encourage it further.

I'm torn between trying a KS or Sabatier profile vs a k-tip. The KS profile has elegance and looks like it would be comfortable to use for anything, but I've honestly never tried one, nor have I tried a k-tip. K-tips look a little flatter which seems cool for push-cutting, but they look like they'd be way worse for rocking. Since k-tips aren't really super flat usually either, I wonder if they would even actually make push cutting easier, or would i still be guillotine and gliding while not being able to rock well at all? I don't want buyer's remorse!

Something that I wouldn't mind being better is food release. I can get a sliced onion to stand unmoved with my Konosuke but I have to use pull cuts near the tip. With a super thick beater knife I can slice an onion with push cuts and have it stay.

That being said I don't think I want too thick of a knife since I use my Konosuke for hours every day without really any fear anymore that I'm going to hurt it.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE

I have an end-grain cutting board at home. At work there is side-grain and soft plastic.

I sharpen my own knives with stones at home. I currently only have a 1000 grit and a 6000 grit. I'd like to expand at some point probably but I currently feel alright. I feel confident in my ability to hold an angle and make a microbevel but I haven't tried thinning or changing the finish on something yet.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Thanks for reading my monster of a first post! A fun fact about me is that, unlike most restaurant workers apparently, I don't drink a lot of caffeine. Sharing a vente drink from starbucks with my girlfriend is part of the reason why I've stayed up through the night and am posting this at 6:30 in the morning..

I’d take a look at Japanese Knife Imports. They have a bunch of kiritsuke-shaped gyuto in the Gesshin Uraku line, the Kochi line, and the Kagekiyo line (depending on how much money you want to throw down).

Honestly, while their stuff isn’t as flashy or “prestigious” as some other hyped names on this forum, every single purchase I’ve made has been a rock solid performer. I made my first purchase as a skeptic buying one of their cheaper products, but the attention to detail stood out enough to make me come back for more. If you want to experience some excellent customer service and quality control I recommend you give them a shot.

I’m also particularly fond of their Kintaro line. It doesn’t quite match what you’re looking for, but it’s my current most-used knife.

Back