• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Ichimonji hamo/honekiri, mukimono

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

bishamon

Reaction score
Here is an interesting one that is almost never seen outside Japan, an Ichimonji 270mm hamokiri in Blue#2 steel. It is from their montanren line, the highest non-honyaki series, and is very impressive to see. Although made to prepare eel and cut through thin bones in the fish, I find it can also be used as a long usuba with practice (I've seen Rokusaburo Michiba do katsuramuki with one). The blade height and thickness are only about 0.5mm thicker than my 210mm usuba.
I bought it direct from Ichimonji 3 years ago, but have only used it a few times and have not sharpened it. Condition is new. The prices for these are usually astronomical (go take a look at Ichimonji or Konosuke), but I'll offer this rare knife for what I paid back before the steel went up and the dollar tanked (almost half current price).
Hamokiri - $375 shipped CONUS

The next knife is a 180mm Monzaburo honkasumi blue#2 mukimono. It is in very good condition, and has a patina on both sides. The handle is half octagon/half round (see picture).
Mukimono - $130 shipped CONUS

Right click view image for full size pictures
Hamo--

Mukimono--

jm2hill

Founding Member
Banned
Reaction score
Both Knives are beautiful. Wish it made sense for me to get the mukimono but I think she would be just a looker in the collection!

Vertigo

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
Banned
Reaction score
So tempted on the mukimono .. though I have absolutely no idea what I'd do with it.

ecchef

Staff member
Founding Member
Global Moderators
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Garlic katsuramuki? :)

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
I tell you that if money was no object I'd buy that hamokiri in a split second - just so bad ass!

bishamon

Reaction score
That hamokiri is such a deal and such a sweet looking knife.
I really do a community service with some of my sale prices I think, lol. But hopefully they go to people that use them more than I get to.

Justin0505

Reaction score
Hamokiri sold...
DAMN! Found this thread just a little too late... that's what I get for not convulsively stalking this section for a few days. Man, that's a awesome knife at an amazing price... congrats to someone!

jm2hill

Founding Member
Banned
Reaction score
so tempted on that Mukimono. If no one picks it up I know I will then, you'll have to tell me how I can use it! :)

wenus2

Founding Member
Reaction score
Lemme know if it doesn't end up to your liking, I'd get a kick out of playing around with it.