Identifying Honyaki Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juztian

Reaction score
There is a Honyaki i was looking to buy on facebook, but i don't recognize the Kanji, does any of you know the stamp? It's a knife from Sakai. Sharpened by Ajioka. Also i 650 USD too much?

Attachments

• 150650881_10157618510310303_6827090127656355430_o.jpg
    150650881_10157618510310303_6827090127656355430_o.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 150082136_10157618510295303_8925223825867525917_o.jpg
    150082136_10157618510295303_8925223825867525917_o.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 123
Need a good photo flat on showing the Kanji to read it. So you should have blown up that second photo.
The first photo only allows the last two characters to be read.
The Kanji are worn on the left side- I do not know why. Very strange.
It probably said Minamoto no Yukihide 源 行秀
Never heard of any yukihide Honyaki.
Have seen lots of Honyaki Minamoto no Akitada 源 昭忠 though.

Last edited:
Need a good photo flat on showing the Kanji to read it. So you should have blown up that second photo.
The first photo only allows the last two characters to be read.
The Kanji are worn on the left side- I do not know why. Very strange.
It probably said Minamoto no Yukihide 源 行秀
Never heard of any yukihide Honyaki.
Have seen lots of Honyaki Minamoto no Akitada 源 昭忠 though.
Screenshot_20210215-082602.jpg
Screenshot_20210215-082602.jpg

This i probably the best I can do.

Are you sure its a true honyaki. Looks beadblasted above the 'hamon' line.

Pretty sure. The guy works for osaka tower knives as a sharpening apprentice, he said he got it as a deal due to some polish irregularities, which want to fix to become better.

I was wondering the same thing... the insides/bottoms of the kanji are the same finish.

Probably just s shadow, but was wondering if the underside of the neck showed core steel:
1613376004996.png

This is the picture before he polished them, it's the one on the left. He might have bead blasted them 🤔 also a picture of the spine

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210215-090306.jpg
    Screenshot_20210215-090306.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_20210215-090324.jpg
    Screenshot_20210215-090324.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20210215-090615.jpg
    Screenshot_20210215-090615.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20210215-090544.jpg
    Screenshot_20210215-090544.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 74
Maybe just a reflection... but spine looks like clad line in the middle too?

The tang has the same finish as the blade... makes bead blasting look pretty likely... which isn't to say it's not necessarily a honyaki...
Here's a Mizuno honyaki where the tang is polished too, like yours. (not my knife, just pulled a photo.)
1613377339518.png

Mizuno honyaki with polish in the interior/bottom of kanji, like yours:
1613377390202.png

Yeah I don't really doubt that it is a honyaki and the bead blasting dosen't bother me. Just want to see if anyone could read the kanji on the blade so i could find out who the blacksmith was.

If the polisher used a stone paste on some flexible backing, it'd get inside the kanji too, but it is possibly media blasted to cover the deep factory grind lines. Given the factory lines on the blade, I'd say it'll take a lot of work to make it look perfectly mirrored, especially if it were a true honyaki.

Regarding the kanji, I think it's not properly stamped and is partially missing. Based on what I could read and from some googling, it could be 源行秀作. There's one item on yahoo auctions in Japan with this maker.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s802194549

This i probably the best I can do.

Thanks for the blow up photo. I stand by my previous post as regards the Kanji.
I see that translated Dentoukougeishi certificate copy is for Ajioka Tomoyuki, a very well known togishi.

What price to you guys feel would be appropriate for this knife? Its running on a auction right and its up to 620 USD

are you sure you should be on auction sites without really knowing your stuff?

(just trying to save you some walletache)

are you sure you should be on auction sites without really knowing your stuff?

(just trying to save you some walletache)
That is definitely a good question, but i am trying to learn, that is why i am here :) but this isn't really a "Auction site" it is a small danish facebook group for people that are into knives and one is a apprentice a Osaka Tower Knives and wanted to sell a honyaki, he was able to get a hold of for not to much money and wanted to see if anyone wanted to buy it. I really just wanted to get a opinion on if is was worth the price.

Maybe it's a great deal, maybe it's not. You're in "need more information" territory.
For my money, I'd be putting up a WTB and dealing with a well-known/respected EU member (since you're in Denmark). That alone will get you more info and lessen the chance of headaches. Plus, you'll be assured that the knife would be priced fairly.

one is a apprentice a Osaka Tower Knives and wanted to sell a honyaki, he was able to get a hold of for not to much money and wanted to see if anyone wanted to buy it.
That might be absolutely true, or it might be a fake story he created to help sell the knife. If you knew him for a long time and he had a history in your group of being honest and making fair deals, it would be easier for you to just trust him. But you came here to ask questions, which means he's a guy you don't really know, he has not much history, and you're not sure what the knife really is. This doesn't sound good.

In the end, all of us must trust some people. But it's good to try to pick the right ones to trust. :)

Also, only speaking from my limited experience here, but Tower Knives is very expensive to begin with...

I don't think this is the Honyaki knife as I can see the laminated by the spine & choil shot. The hamon also looks like sandblast. If 650 USD I would said pretty pricey...

I don't think this is the Honyaki knife as I can see the laminated by the spine & choil shot. The hamon also looks like sandblast. If 650 USD I would said pretty pricey...
The choil to me looks like its just had the edges eased/rounded which leaves a strip in the middle. There's no lamination line along the edge which would suggest this is at the very least a monosteel.

All the arguments for both sides [it is]/[it isn't] sound convincing to me.

I think the fact that a group of knife geeks can't immediately agree is the important part. Why take that kind of chance?

Maybe it’s the typography nerd in me but does the typeface of the Kanji seem a bit off to anyone? it’s got a distinct MS office default font for CJK characters feel to it. None of the knives listed with the same kanji that I can find with google images share the font.

Maybe it’s the typography nerd in me but does the typeface of the Kanji seem a bit off to anyone? it’s got a distinct MS office default font for CJK characters feel to it. None of the knives listed with the same kanji that I can find with google images share the font.
The photos are too blurry to positively make that kind of ID. And I'm afraid they might be intentionally blurry.

Back