imma gonna getta a kamagata todah

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure a kamagata usuba is going to be your best garlic and herb knife... can you describe how you plan on using it a bit better? It's a really highly specialized knife that works amazingly well for its intended tasks and sucks at everything else.

Jon, can you elaborate? Which tasks is it great at? What does it especially suck at?

Do I remember reading that it's not easy to sharpen usubas to a perfectly flat profile?

What are the intended tasks if I may ask?

Since I mostly have two long nakiri; I was thinking of getting a shorter one and yes more specialized use. I mostly eat veg at home so I want something to suit everything occcasion. It's seems to be awesome for chopin'.

Well it's not that I'll roll/peel an daikon either v'ryday but having said that I'd pratice it at least.

Cutting very thick pieces of dense product is very annoying I.E. daikon, big carrots and root vegetables. Anything hard that's thicker than the height of the bevel is not user friendly with Usubas. It's not to say you shouldn't do it, but doing it with a gyuto is way easier

The link isn't to an usuba at all! That knife in the link is an odd knife, I'm sure you could accomplish what your looking to do with it, but for chopping garlic and herbs I found a tall flat petty is perfect. Something like a mini gyuto.

Totally right, I didn't do my research, I wouldn't know how to use that knife

i'm thinking of getting a kamagata.

other suggestions?

i chop so much garlic n' herbs, it's the need of the moment.

Yeah, like others have said, that's not an usuba in your link. Usuba are single-beveled vegetable knives. That is a double-beveled knife like your nakiri.

I agree that a real usuba is probably not going to be your best bet for chopping up garlic and herbs. My suggestion is look for a bunka knife with a relatively flat profile that is between 155-180mm. That might suit your needs better.

Jon, can you elaborate? Which tasks is it great at? What does it especially suck at?

Do I remember reading that it's not easy to sharpen usubas to a perfectly flat profile?

katsuramuki, sengiri, mukimono, and stuff like that... its great for that stuff. For cutting tall, dense veggies in half or doing large dices, it sucks hard. Pretty much for the way we cut veggies with a gyuto, an usuba would suck for the most part.

As an occasionally-practicing usuba beginner/dabbler, I can only say 16 vs 19 cm is a huge difference when it comes how unwieldy and dangerous they feel especially when not working on-board....

Latest posts

Back