Media Introducing Japanese Knife Society

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, I'm glad they included both cuts in that one, and plated examples of each as well.

One suggestion, if you have a large field of text and don't need to go right into another text bubble, I would leave it up there a bit longer. But if you are trying to keep it simple and not clog up the screen with text all the time, I understand that too, and will just have to continue to use the pause button.

i believe our friend Joe there has carbon single bevels.

This is correct. I have used a variety of fingerstones and they work well at evening out the finish I get off my natural, but I still don't really get that POP. I need to handle a knife that has been expertly finished to see what it really looks like in person... pics and vids can be really deceiving.

I don't know how much it helps or how valid it is, but I do have one observation. I've noticed in people's pictures, especially Maksim's, that there's a little less contrast between hagane and jigane with the harder stones (what he calls lv 3.5 and up) than with the softer stones he posted like the lv2 ones. I wonder if it has anything to do with hardness of the stone as well.

a very talented sharpener and one of the guys i've spent time training with did that... the edge of those knives is hamaguri... he sharpened the top part of the bevel with a stone that gave that finish and the bottom with something that leaves a mirror finish.

I've done that on a Global yanagiba and deba. As a side note, never agree to sharpen a Global yanagiba or deba.

he sharpened the top part of the bevel with a stone that gave that finish and the bottom with something that leaves a mirror finish.

HA! That is incredible. What a neat trick.

The carrot katsuramuki video was insanely informative! Love these. Please tell them to never back off on the fine details. I always tell people the two most important things when cutting are:
1. That you believe the knife will make the cut
2. You cut from your feet
...most people think I'm being funny, but I am happy to see that I am not imagining things.

Keep em coming! These are inspiring.

Did some katsuramuki of a cucumber tonight after sharpening a yanagi. Came out approximately a thousand times better than my previous attempts. Thanks!

new video... The movement of Yanagiba- Hirazukuri

[video=youtube;CKnhOGc68YY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=CKnhOGc68YY[/video]

I am thoroughly enjoying these. I need to get myself a yanagiba...

Jon, his grip is very unique. I've never seen it before, and he uses it for basically all of his board work. Is this a common grip in Japan?

You know, I find myself doing that when my knife callous starts hurting.

I actually found myself using that grip more and more after watching the vids.

Jon, his grip is very unique. I've never seen it before, and he uses it for basically all of his board work. Is this a common grip in Japan?

that is one of the 4 main grips you see in japan... he uses the others equally... its just the videos we've done do far show only this one.

I did some katsuramuki with beets at work today. Had a couple beets that were bigger than softballs and I cut half of one down to a cucumber sized 3" tall cylinder. Was a little tricky with my small yanagi, now I have an excuse for an usuba, haha. I could see how having the right tool for the job would be very helpful. Not perfect results by any stretch, but passable, especially in a western kitchen. And the translucent blood red beets look awesome. Used them as a garnish on one of our dishes for a tasting menu would did tonight.

I meant to bring the rest home so I could take a picture of them, but forgot em at work. Maybe tomorrow.

Anyone ever try this on beets before?

did it while i was working in italy... works great... have to rinse them though... they bleed color like nothing else

Haha yeah, I just put them in ice water like with carrots or cucumber. They bled out in no time, which is nice because you can handle them barehanded without getting stains all over your fingers.

i used to run them in a colander under super cold water until they ran almost clean and then ice water, but yeah, its nice to be able to handle them with your bare hands and the semi-translucent look they get is really cool.

At the sushi bar, we often had beets, daikon and carrots for making pretty shredded garnish. The red color really adds something to a plate!

I did some katsuramuki with beets at work today. Had a couple beets that were bigger than softballs and I cut half of one down to a cucumber sized 3" tall cylinder. Was a little tricky with my small yanagi, now I have an excuse for an usuba, haha. I could see how having the right tool for the job would be very helpful. Not perfect results by any stretch, but passable, especially in a western kitchen. And the translucent blood red beets look awesome. Used them as a garnish on one of our dishes for a tasting menu would did tonight.

I meant to bring the rest home so I could take a picture of them, but forgot em at work. Maybe tomorrow.

Anyone ever try this on beets before?

In the book "Japanese kitchen knives" they used regular red radish *white inside obviously* but it looked really nice especially since with the skin on it looked like red/white ribbons. I'm definitely going to try the beets for garnish soon.

Usually for carrot/daikon garnish we use the benriner turning slicer though, but I love doign katsuramuki.

I did some katsuramuki with beets at work today. Had a couple beets that were bigger than softballs and I cut half of one down to a cucumber sized 3" tall cylinder.

Do you mean you trimmed them down to cucumber size and then did katsuramuki or you did katsuramuki and stopped when they were cucumber sized (so your "needles" would be small)?

I trimmed them and then did the katsuramuki. Basically I made them into a uniform cylinder beforehand. My needles were about 2.5" long.

Back